Corey Shader, Business Consultant, Reveals 7 Tips to Give Your Small Business an Edge

Read on to find out what you can do to make your business worthy of success.

7003

Winston Churchill said, "No one can guarantee success in war, but only deserve it," and in business, it's much the same. Sometimes, despite your best efforts, circumstances will conspire to undermine your success. However, there are some things you can do to make your business worthy of success.

Corey Shader's 7 Tips Tips to Give Your Small Business an Edge:

Have a Written Plan

A business plan is your strategy for success. If you don't have one and don't have it written down so that you can refer to it, you're floundering, and you're likely to duplicate efforts or even find yourself working at cross purposes. That said, you also need to be aware when it's time to put aside your plan and try something different.

Don't Hire Employees: Hire a Team, and Be Part of It

The fewer the people working in your business, the more you need to trust them, and the more everyone needs to be able to work together. Make sure you're hiring people who not only can do the work, but have the right attitude and are invested in your business.

And once you've hired people, work on fostering relationships among them. Show them the same courtesy, respect, and patience that you want them to show your customers. When you interact with customers, always model proper behavior as well.

Don't Neglect the Legal

Sure, it costs a little bit more to start your business if you draw up legal papers for a corporation, get the proper insurance, licenses, and the rest, but it can save your business and your life.

If your business isn't a separate legal entity, then it can't have separate finances. Any debts the business incurs can then be assessed against your personal finances. If the business fails, it may be long gone, but its debt can hang around for years.

And those debts can include penalties and fees for not having your business legally licensed and insured.

Don't Neglect Your Taxes

Almost nobody likes taxes, but they are a necessary fact of life. Paying taxes will undoubtedly cut into your profit margins, but it's nothing compared to not paying taxes. Once you add on interest and penalties, you could end up with twice the burden or more. And remember, if you're not paying taxes quarterly, you could be subject to penalties, even if you pay the right amount at the end of the year.

Have a Website That Meets Your Customers' Needs

Everybody should be online. Your small business is no exception, and you want to make sure that your business can be found by people looking for it. Not only that, but they should be able to quickly and easily find important information about your business, such as your hours, telephone number, and some idea about what services or products you offer.

Don't forget to make your website mobile, too. Many people will come across your business by searching on their phones for local services. If they can't read your website on their smartphone, they might bypass you for a competitor.

Don't Forget to Smile

Sure, being a small business owner can be hard sometimes, but don't forget that you're living your dream. Many people never get the chance to enjoy what you're experiencing now, so don't let the challenges get you down.

Besides that, a smile and friendly greeting are one of the most important things that people value in a small business. In a recent study, people ranked a smile and friendly greeting as the number one reason they frequented local businesses.

Master the Soft Sell

Business is tough. Times are hard. You're desperate to make a sale. But try not to let it show. Part of the feeling people want from a small business is that you're a friendly, personal alternative to the Big Box retailers. If you're going to maintain that reputation, you need to master the soft sell.

Don't push your product. Find out what people want and need, then give them solutions and options. Not only will you likely make more sales, but you'll also generate goodwill that can drive more business. Even if you don't make a sale today, people are more likely to come back to buy from you tomorrow.

About Corey Shader: Corey Shader is an independent business consultant. Driven by his passion for helping others achieve their goals, he takes pride in bringing out the best in others. Based in Florida, Shader is well known for his involvement with startup companies helping with customer acquisition, streamlining processes, and maximizing their overall bottom line.