Cops Are Not Criminals!

Cops Are Not Criminals!

I support the Back The Blue Campaign and here's why you should join me

15
Cops Are Not Criminals!
Erin Thoresen

Imagine standing in a crowd, gun secured in your holster, with only intentions to go home to your husband or wife and kids that night. Imagine protecting the rights of a celebrity or a simple civilian who has no intentions of making your life easy that day. Imagine running, yelling, pulling your gun just to protect the very people that put you in danger. Imagine getting shot with everyone dancing, rioting around you yelling this life matters and that life matters. Imagine thinking what about my life? What about my spouse and child’s life? Cops are not criminals and we need to stop allowing a few corrupt officers risk the lives of our local heroes.

Recently, there has been an uproar in my local community over some officers who severely battered a suspect that ran from them. Some say the officers shouldn't be held accountable and others are infuriated that we haven't punished these men sooner. I have absolutely no opinion on the matter. I do not know the officers involved. I do not know the suspect involved. And I definitely do not know the case details. With that being said, as the daughter of a man in uniform, I have some strong opinions on the riots against our local officers as a single group.

My father is the most level headed, loving man I know. In all the years he has worked in law enforcement, I cannot recall a single time he ever even mentioned being forced in a position he thought he needed his gun for safety. For that, I thank God. But let it be known, if it came down to my dad and a drug dealer or rapist with a gun, I would only be angry if I had to see my dad in the hospital or worse. He has risked his life in so many different scenarios of chasing down crazy kids and dealing with drunken drivers that I can't believe he hasn't been hurt. I am lucky, and some kids like me aren't. Some kids come home from school to find out their mom or dad had been shot or hit by a car just because they were trying to protect the very people that put their lives in danger in the first place. The thought that these riots and shootings are in my very own community sickens me. What has our world turn into that we are firing at the only people crazy enough to put themselves on the line to make sure we go home safe every day?

Cops lives matter. Black lives matter. White lives matter. Lives of all religions, beliefs and mindsets matter. Let's make it easier on ourselves. Repeat after me, "All lives matter!" It is incredibly sad this is even a debate when there are bigger and better things to worry about. Has everyone all of a sudden forgot we were recently a victim of a terrorist attack? And that we haven't had one like it since 9/11? We are all so caught up in the fact that the victims were of an abnormal sexual preference that we forgot we are under attack.People from other countries are looking to harm us but all we care about is what bathroom we can use. I love all people and believe all people should be valued. But when someone attacks my family and threatens our well-being, I normally will fight back in defense rather than cry because they didn't like I was a Christian.

I will not speak my opinion on who is innocent and who is not. That is not my place. But since when was it okay to disrespect the people that are protecting us with less pay than fair when considering they are in danger every second of every day? May I remind everyone, if you don't do anything illegal and don't get caught in places you shouldn't be, you wont even have to deal with officers. Doesn't that make sense?

Everyone makes mistakes. There are good and bad people of all genders, careers, cultures and colors. This isn't a matter of cops are corrupt. Our world is broken and the only way to fix it is by fixing our own hearts. Law enforcement officers are our local soldiers protecting us. Did anyone realize the only reason more people didn't get killed in Orlando is because a law enforcement officer with a gun found the shooter? He could've ran off or called for someone else to deal with it but instead he risked his life and saved hundreds. My condolences to all directly affected by the shooting. But I also want to send a shout out to the men and women that responded to the tragedy and risked their lives.

Law enforcement officers should be innocent until proven guilty. It is a right we all as Americans deserve. I should know, I have many officers in my family that I hope to watch grow old one day and live a happy life.

Take a minute and thank an officer. They're the reason you can even risk their lives without risking your own. I wouldn't want to live in a world without law enforcement. And also look into supporting the "Back the Blue" campaign and show your appreciation for our local heroes!