Is Cotton Controversial?

Is Cotton Controversial?

One thing is for sure-- it is still a major cash crop in America.
1085

Cotton, as we know, was a major deal in the United States, primarily the South, during the times of slavery. Although slavery was abolished back in the times of President Lincoln, cotton is still a widely talked about topic for good and bad reasons.

Last year, a lady labeled cotton decor at hobby lobby as racist. I see her point of how the African Americans slaved all day no matter the weather just to pick cotton. I also see the point of where people actually like cotton for decor. I believe cotton is a beautiful thing. Technically, the blame falls more on the slave owners that the cotton.

The cotton can't help that it was chosen as the cash crop of America. Also, why not destroy the cotton fields if it's so offensive. If it's that much of a big deal, cut the source. Then there go the clothes.

I come from a multicultural background. I am half African American and half Caucasian. I'm not offended by cotton. My great-grandmother has told me about how she had to pick cotton in her younger years. She even has some stray cotton in her house. Does it bother me? No.

It's now 2018 and cotton is still a big debate. It's time to focus more on something like North Korea or the safety of our Country.

I can almost guarantee that the ones who are complaining about cotton are wearing cotton clothes. To me, that's hypocritical. If it was such a big deal, you'd boycott anything and everything cotton.

There are other things that deserve more attention. Stop complaining about cotton. There is nothing offensive about it.