We Can't Let Ignorant People Control Our Planet

Your home is being destroyed; don't let them do it, take a stand.

62
Bob Wick, Flickr

It is understandable.

I do it, my friends do it, movies depict this all the time.

It is OK. Nothing to be ashamed of, we are human.

We sometimes do not clean our surroundings.

Yes, that’s what I am referring to. Picking up your bedroom or tidying up your home.

We just get lazy and neglect everything. Either we are just too busy binging "The Crown," or scrolling through FaceBook, we make our surroundings a disaster.

But 99 percent of the time, we actually get around to it and make our living space a living space again.

We throw our clothes on the ground, lazily toss dirty dishes in the sink, forget to hang our bath towels, skip laundry day, then never fold the clean laundry from last time.

Sometimes, we leave old food in the fridge because we don’t necessarily want to deal with it. Or when we get super lazy, we just plop on the couch and live in the same pajamas for the fourth day in a row with a bag of chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner (don’t judge me).

But when push comes to shove, you get up and take that shower, put on some freshly clean clothes, eat an apple and wash those dishes.

Because you are not an animal. Your mother didn’t raise a third-week-in-a-row-bra-wearing slob. She raised a gosh darned human being that knows how to kinda cook and grocery shop for real food that does not come in a Lunchables box.

Or maybe you just have company coming over, and you can’t let them see you like this…

Either way, you finally open the curtains to let that much-needed sunshine filter through those windows, get your act together and make your home a habitable place to live once again. You care about your health and your immediate environment.

Maybe even buy one of those air filtering plants while you are at it too.

Because if you don’t get your act together, you might just die.

"BREAKING: New Research Shows Plastic Fibers in Drinking Water"

"Globe had 3rd warmest year to date and 4th warmest October on record"

"End-of-summer Arctic sea ice extent is eighth lowest on record"

"The relentless rise of carbon dioxide"

Guess what? Your home is a mess.

Back in March, President Trump signed off on the construction of the much disproved and unwanted Keystone XL pipeline in South Dakota. Many protested its existence, due to the line being built on Native American sacred lands, as well as through the Ogallala Aquifer, one of the world’s largest freshwater underground deposits.

Yet, they went ahead with the pipeline plans.

November 16, the Keystone Pipeline leaked 210,000 gallons of tar sands oil, or crude bitumen, an oil that is thicker than traditional oil. Due to bitumen’s thick consistency, it is much harder to clean after a spill.

Bear’s Ears, a 1.35 million acre National Monument located in San Juan County in southeastern Utah, is home to Native American history, red rock canyons, great rock climbing sites and beautiful nature.

On December 4, Donald Trump announced that he is cutting over one million acres from Bears Ears, reducing it to a mere 201,876 acres.

The Clean Air Act, an act passed during the Johnson administration in the 60s (starting as the Air Pollution Control Act of 1955) was put into place to protect our breathing air, minimize pollution and fund research on sources of air pollution.

William Wehrum, who was nominated by Donald Trump, became an Assistant Administrator for the EPA's Office of Air and Radiation on November 9. Before this, he spoke with a Senate committee on whether or not human activities are instrumental to the obvious climate change.

During this hearing, Senator Jeff Merkley showed Wehrum charts of correlating data between rising global temperatures and increasing CO2 gases in the atmosphere. Including facts on the ever climbing ocean acidity, longer forest fire seasons, and dying Oregon Oysters.

Wehrum eloquently replies with feigned ignorance on this information by saying,

“I’m not familiar with those data.”

Merkley states that such ignorance is what makes Wehrum unqualified for this position,

“No one can look at what is happening on the planet and see that nothing is happening unless you are deliberately determined to ignore that information. And that makes you quite frankly unacceptable to serve in this capacity.”

This man, who apparently knows nothing about the environment and climate, is greatly in charge of the environment and climate.

Not to mention, Wehrum has sued the EPA 31 times since 2008 to subvert the Clean Air Act. Wehrum has represented many petroleum and fuel companies while working for Hunton & Williams law firm, after being withdrawn from his confirmation as EPA air administrator in 2007.

We can’t just sit back and let our home be trashed like this.

Trashed, destroyed, vandalized, reduced and taken by others who seem to either not care or are completely ignorant to the fact that Earth is dying, and they are just speeding up that death.

We are watching them do this, letting people like Wehrum to control your air, to let Trump steal your land and continue to pollute our drinking water.

We need to clean up our home like we have company coming over.