Stop Stressing About Finals Because God Will Always Love You

To The College Kid Stressing Out About Finals, God Won't Love You Any Less If You Get A D

Have peace in knowing that, no matter what happens, God is on your side.

66
Sunset from my home on Thanksgiving.
Personal Photo

The sun is setting on another semester. It's been one of trials, tests, sorrow, and times of anxiety, but it has brought times of joy and peace.

It has brought joy in the fact that God has brought me to JSU for another year to serve Him and further His kingdom.

I have peace in knowing that no matter what happens, God is on my side.

A few weeks ago, an international student I had been connecting with this semester and became really close with passed. In the days following, I struggled.

I struggled with the question of, “Did I display the walk of a Christian to him effectively?" Then God revealed to me that I didn't need to worry. I can take peace in knowing all of us who were around him and connected with him had an impact on his life and helped point him to Jesus.

My point in sharing that story is, it's been a semester of continued growth in my walk with Christ. Now we've come to the most stressful time of the semester: finals week. I wanted to share a few things that I have been pondering now that finals are underway.

First and foremost, don't get anxious. It's easy to get anxious during this time. Classes may not be going the way you'd hoped. Your success in a class you've worked so hard in is riding on how you do on the final. Take hope in Philippians 4:6-7, a verse I have quoted time and time again this semester.

Secondly, get some rest. Rest is crucial, not just for your physical life, but your spiritual life as well.

Rest in the hope and love that God has given you. Give all your cares to Him, and get some rest.

Studying is important also. You can't expect to pass a final in college without studying. I was always able to in high school and at community college, but in university-level classes, studying is a must. The content is harder. The material needs more focus. You can't expect an A on a final in a university-level course without putting in the effort to study.

Building on that, study in increments. Don't study everything all at once. Everything will become jumbled and hard to remember on the final. With studying in increments, take breaks to hang out with friends and de-stress. Everyone is stressed out right now, but I have found that coming together in between studying helps me de-stress and realize that there is no reason to stress about temporary things when there are people who need to be interacted with and have the Gospel shared with them.

As I wrap up, I know finals week can be stressful and nerve-racking. However, I also know keeping focus on God and what He has in store for you is so much better than the temporary anxiety you're feeling. With God, all things are possible. The same God who allowed Jesus to run out of the grave on Easter Sunday wants to take that stress and anxiety away because He cares about you! Give it to Him this week.