Tourist Locations in Connecticut

Top 5 Must-Go Places To Visit In Connecticut

When visiting Connecticut, here are some places that will make you want to return.

114
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gillette_Castle.jpg

Connecticut is a beautiful and exciting state. There are endless places to visit, including National Parks, historical sites and towns, and other one of a kind landmarks. I have personally taken friends of mine, from out of state and also from Europe, to these locations and the responses have been positive. So, whether you are a tourist or want to visit a museum, these locations are perfect for all ages and will leave you wanting to visit more of Connecticut.

1. Gillette Castle (Lyme, CT)

c1.staticflickr.com

This destination is a historical site for not only its beauty, but the history surrounding it. The resident of this castle, was none other than William Gillette; an actor in the late 19th and early 20th centuries who portrayed Sherlock Holmes on stage. This beautiful landmark is a perfect place to visit, whether you are a tourist or haven't visited it before. When arriving, you take a ferry across the river and the stone castle is seen on top of a mountain. U are taken throughout the castle, visiting the individual rooms (mainly completed with original furniture) and servants quarters, all with stories of the past. The castle itself has a very small fee for tours ($6 for adults and $2 for children) while parking is for free.

2. Mystic Seaport (Stonington, CT)

upload.wikimedia.org

Mystic seaport is an interactive and educational site. It has hands on activities for people of all ages and has a rich historical background, shown through reenactments, authentic ships and houses, and objects from the past. Every season has something to offer, whether it be talking to employees dressed up in outfits from the 1700's about what school was like during that time or boarding the Amistad vessel and seeing what life was like on a ship. Mystic Seaport truly takes you back in time. There is also the beautiful town of Mystic that has wonderful shops and restaurants open. Adults are $28.95, seniors are $26.95, youth (ages 4-14) are $18.95, and children are free.

3. Mark Twain House (Hartford, CT)

upload.wikimedia.org

To visit the home of a famous author is a unique experience and illustrates a life outside of their books. The home of Mark Twin, built back in 1871, is a gorgeous architectural wonder where you can truly see the remarkable details that were put into creating this site. The furniture is almost all authentic and there are countless stories to be told of each individual room that really puts perspective on what life might have been like for the Twain family. As for prices, senior citizens are $18, adults are $20, children are $12, and children under six are free as well as parking.

4. Yale University (New Haven, CT)

upload.wikimedia.org

The Third Best National School, Yale University, is located in New Haven, Connecticut. Besides its astonishing reputation, there is a lot to offer besides academics when visiting. There are campus tours available, theatrical performances, concerts, a botanical garden, and there is, of course, the surrounding area of New Haven with many restaurants and shops to visit. I personally went and saw a concert at their music hall, and not only was the building beautiful, but the music was something I will remember for years to come. Tickets aren't that pricey, depending on the venue, and have some of the best musicians in the world; right here in Connecticut. Once you are finished with the musical or theatrical performance, there is the surrounding area, filled with places to eat, shop, and enjoy your visit.

5. The Submarine Force Museum (Groton, CT)

c1.staticflickr.com

If you've ever wondered what it's like to go into a submarine, look no further. Right here in Groton, Connecticut, there is a Naval submarine base. Once you enter the museum entrance, you are greeted with a help desk and the walls are filled with photos of Navy members. You can continue down the hall and there are individual rooms that show a part of the seaman life. One section lets you look into a submarine periscope and gives you a view of outside the museum. However, the main attraction is the submarine itself. You are given a recorded tour guide that will let you walk through the entire submarine, each room dedicated to show certain parts of the crew's lifestyles. It even has mannequins built to show it. As you climb through the doors and learn the history of the Navy base, you'll find this extremely unique situation enjoyable for the whole family. The tour of the submarine is self-guided and free as well as the museum itself.