Yes I'm From Connecticut, No I Didn't Apply To UConn

No interest in being a Husky, sorry I'm not sorry.

184

University of Connecticut, more commonly known as UConn, is a well-known university. UConn is one of the top public research universities in the nation. UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the challenges of a changing global society. UConn is also a standout in Division l sports and fuels academic spirit. So people find it shocking when I say I did not even consider applying to the school.

UConn is located in town of Storrs, Connecticut. It is about a two-hour drive from my home in Norwalk, Connecticut. The distance is not bad to travel, so I would have the option to go home when necessary, and family and friends could visit often. Also, since I am a resident of the state of Connecticut, I would get a significantly cheaper tuition. So far, I sound insane for not wanting to attend a college that sounds ideal for my life.

The truth is, UConn was too safe, too predictable for me. College is a drastic change in a young adult's life. It is the first big step into the rest of your life. So I wanted to make sure I picked the right college that was going to allow me to grow.

While applying to colleges, I was told to apply to a minimum of six schools. Two goal schools, two reach schools, and two safety schools. I understood that the purpose of this was to ensure that I had covered all my bases while applying, but when it came time to apply I realized that I would rather just pick six schools that I really liked. Ones I could see myself on campus, making friends, and starting a bright future. There were students I went to high school with that applied to schools, got in, and had no intention to attend that school. I didn’t understand why you would even pay money to apply if you have no interest in the college itself.

That’s when it came to my attention, most of my high school, heck, most of my county applied to UConn, while I didn’t. Most people couldn't fathom why I wouldn’t. “Where’s your Connecticut pride?” they said. I love Connecticut, don’t get me wrong, it is a beautiful place that I will always call my home, but one big thing I wanted from college was to expand my horizons.

I have lived in Connecticut for about 20 years now, and as much as I can say I know it very well, I wanted to see what else was out there. So I applied to schools in New Hampshire, New York, Massachusetts, and New Jersey, (obviously nothing too far.) I currently attend Rider University in Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Only two and a half hours away from my home in Norwalk, and I already feel like I am in a different world. Who would have thought that Jersey people could be so different? Not me, but I am so glad I took a risk and found out for myself. The campus isn’t just New Jersey people too; my best friends on campus are from Austin, Texas, and Bogotá, Colombia. It is hard to believe I wouldn’t have ever met them if I didn’t travel outside of my comfortable state of Connecticut. In 2011, 80 percent of UConn’s undergrad was in-state students, and personally, I just wanted nothing to do with that.

My advice for high school students applying to college is to find schools that fit your needs. If you really like to eat, find the schools with the best dining halls. If you really love biology, find the school with the killer science department, and if you really can’t stand your parents, find a school far away from them, but don’t apply to a school just because that is what everyone else is doing, and don’t not apply to a school that you are worried won’t accept you. Pick the school that will be the positive change in your life because UConn may be an impressive school, but it wasn’t the one for me.