Confessions Of Being An Only Child

Confessions Of Being An Only Child

It's my life and I like it.

10
Confessions Of Being An Only Child
Nyela Graham

The first thing I want to say is you don't need to feel bad for me when I tell you I am an only child.

My life is not bad.

I never really noticed the differences between my friends and I until I was older and I noticed they had siblings and I didn't. There were moments where I wanted the same life with younger or older siblings and times when I was perfectly content with having no one to share a room with. Now that I am little bit older, I can proudly say I would not have it any other way. It is just me, myself and I on this journey called life.

Being an only child meant I had my parents all to myself. I was their only child so I was the only one in the picture. It allowed for time to be spent with me and it made way for the strong relationship we have now. I don't know what I would do without the strong bond that I have with my parents and the support we give each other.

If I have learned anything from growing up as an only child, it was independence. It was me against the world and no one was my sidekick in going through the ups and downs of life. I didn't have an older sibling who could give me advice and I didn't have a younger sibling to give advice to. I have cousins that I am close to but my parents were my best friends growing up. They still are and it is a relationship I am thankful for everyday.

Siblings are great. I have friends who love their siblings and some who can't stand them.

In my case, I have me and I'm always looking out for myself.