Summer Concert Etiquette: The Dos And Don'ts

How to have the greatest time of your life at a concert.

233

It's summer time so that means concert season is here. As you get ready to attend small concerts and huge music festivals like Electronic Daisy Carnival, you might be wondering what you should and shouldn't do to make sure you have the best time of your life. Have no fear, fellow reader! Here are the dos and don'ts on how to optimize your experience at a concert:

Dos

1. Bring water and filling snacks

Concerts are long. You're not going to be enjoying the music if your stomach is constantly growling or if you're about to pass out from dehydration. Bring water and a few granola bars to keep your energy up.

2. Wear comfortable shoes

I totally understand you need to look cute and on top of your fashion game. But nothing will kill your concert vibe more than aching feet. Ditch the cute, uncomfortable sandals and opt for the mediocre-looking, comfy sneakers or athletic shoes instead. No one is going to be looking down and judging your shoes: everyone's eyes will be up looking at the performance in front of them.

3. Bring a small bag or backpack with lots of pockets

You're going to have quite a few things to pack. Water, snacks, jacket, souvenirs, etc. You want to keep your hands free so you don't have to worry about dropping anything or having to constantly hold it. My personal go to is a fanny pack since it does not add any unnecessary weight on my back or shoulders. It may be a little dorky, but it's very efficient.

4. Wear deodorant

I can't stress this enough. If the concert you're going to takes place outside, you're going to be sweating if you're in the blazing sun . If you're going to be pressed up against tons of sweaty bodies, you don't want to be the person reeking of body odor.

5. Follow all rules and markings

Like in any public place, there are rules to ensure everyone's safety. Don't lose all common sense and morals just because you're having a good time at a concert. The rules are there for you.

6. Let things go

No, not like Queen Elsa from Disney's "Frozen." Learn to let stupid things go. If someone pushes you, let it go. If someone cuts in front of you, let it go. If you someone is being rude to you, let it go. Be the bigger person. Have patience and do not let your ego get the best of you.

Don'ts

1. Forget important stuff

Your ticket is the No. 1 thing you need to bring or else you can't get into the concert. Don't forget your phone in case there is an emergency. Don't forget money to buy food or souvenirs. Forgetting something you needed is the worst feeling since it's something that can be avoided. The goal is to make your concert experience as smooth as possible.

2. Be rude

As previously mentioned, you should not forget your morals and common sense just because you're at a concert. Be courteous and respectful of other concert goers; they want to have fun as much as you do. If someone pushes you or is rude to you, just let it go. It's not worth starting a fight over a petty and stupid topic.

3. Block short people's views

Short people want to see the stage, too. Be nice and stand behind them so they can enjoy the concert as well. It's as simple as that.

4. (Use) Flash

I mean this in a photography and a physical way. The flash from a phone is distracting and disorienting. As for the other way of flashing, no one wants to see that.

5. Harass the artist(s)

The performers are there to share their work of art with you. They are taking time out of their busy schedule to put on a show for you. If you see them on their break, don't ask them for an autograph, a video shout-out, and a picture. They're exhausted and deserve to be unbothered. They're normal people, too (just with amazing talent).

6. Forget to have fun

You probably spent a lot of money to go to this concert, so make the experience worth every cent! Try to ignore all of the annoying people and things. The concert experience is solely what you make of it.

With all these tips up your sleeve, you are sure to be a huge step closer to having the time of your life. Concerts are meant to be a fun experience for everyone involved, so don't be the person who ruins it for everyone else. Stay safe and have fun at your next music festival!