Comparison Is The Thief of Joy

Comparison Is The Thief of Joy

Don't look sideways, look up.

9
https://unsplash.com/photos/99C5lrAyxpQ
https://unsplash.com/photos/99C5lrAyxpQ

When I was reading my devotional today, I encountered something so beautiful that I felt the need to share.

Sometimes we spend so much time comparing ourselves to to other people.

We look at Instagram and see these beautiful people with perfect lives and we begin to feel less than them. We might be home alone but see someone posting about spending all day with their friends and suddenly feel like we are so alone. We might see people getting somewhere and having their life figured out while we still feel like a mess and behind everyone else.

It is easy to compare ourselves to others. Technology has made it even easier.

I don't know about you but I've definitely compared myself to other people before. And this comparison can sometimes lead to jealousy.

Something that isn't a very nice feeling and something that also separates us from God. Instead of looking up to God and being grateful for what we do have and what he has so mercifully given us we instead focus on what this other person has and at what we are lacking.

His Word also says that we are wonderfully and fearfully made. We were made in God's image. Each one of us. We don't need to be comparing ourselves to other people because we are beautifully and perfectly made. Kick them insecurities out and speak truth to them.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well"

Psalm 139:14

But here's the real kicker: We shouldn't envy others or compare ourselves to others because God has a hope and a future for us.

You heard me. And that's a promise.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11

It ain't no "maybe He has a life plan thats okayish or an "ehhh we'll see where life takes me" but you as a daughter of the Most High have to be certain that God has a plan for you. A beautiful plan of a hope and a future. We don't have to compare where we are in life to the person next to us or envy others because they are ahead of the game. It's all in God's timing and trust me I say that out of experience.

God is faithful and sometimes what he has in mind for us is a million times better than what we would have planned for ourselves. He is good. Believe it. Don't let comparison or jealousy shift your focus into only seeing what you don't have but fix your perspective on Jesus. For He alone should be our main focus.