As A College Commuter, You Need To Learn How To Travel Safely In Bad Winter Conditions

Visibility is limited when it snows and not being able to see out of your windshield makes it worse. When cleaning your car, always wipe down from the top first.

32

With snow coming our way, the roads have become exponentially more dangerous. You always have to be cautious on the road, but with terrible weather conditions, you have to be even more careful to protect yourself and the other people on the road. Here are some tips to stay safe.

If necessary, drive slower than the speed limit. Driving the speed limit while the roads are covered in snow or wet can be very dangerous. You can hydroplane and lose control of the car. If you feel conscientious about driving slowly, keep in mind that everyone else is driving slower as well. Usually, the speed limit on the highway is 65 miles per hour, but a safe speed to drive is 45 miles per hour.

Keep in mind that your commute time will be longer so you have to plan for that. If you do start hydroplaning, do not step on the brakes. Stepping on the brakes makes it worse because hydroplaning is the loss of your tires' friction and abruptly stopping will cause you to slide more. The best thing to do is to turn the steering wheel opposite to where the car is sliding. Also, try to stick to the main roads. Usually, the main roads are always plowed and salted first.

Keep tons of supplies in your car just in case of emergencies. I always bring an extra set of clothes just in case my clothes get wet from the snow or I have to stay the night. I also bring snacks and water. Another vital piece of equipment to have is a glass scraper. Visibility is limited when it snows and not being able to see out of your windshield makes it worse. When cleaning your car, always wipe down from the top first. The snow always falls down to the bottom, so cleaning the bottom first is a waste of time. Warming up your car also makes it easier to get the snow off.

There's no such thing as a good driver when there's snow on the road. You have to be cautious of how your driving. If you feel that the roads are dangerous, don't drive. Your life is more important than any class you have.