Communication Is Key In A Relationship, But It’s Not The Only Thing

Actions speak louder than words - communication, comprehension, and change is key.

15

We've all heard the saying communication is key, right? Talking things out is absolutely the best thing to do. It never works to bottle feelings up and it is always better to just say what's on your mind, especially if it is something that is bothersome in your relationship. But have you ever felt like you have explained and communicated until you're blue in the face and the other person still doesn't get it? That's because communication is only the first step in any healthy and successful relationship.

Communication is the first step in making things right in any relationship. If you like something, say it. If something makes you uncomfortable, say it. Keeping things honest and open is crucial in building loving, strong relationships. However, it can't stop at communication. The listener has to understand.

Comprehension should go hand in hand with communication. Listening to understand is often an overlooked skill but is an extremely important one. Most people listen to reply and defend without even considering the other person's feelings and point of view. Listening to understand does not always mean agreeing, it just means you love the other person enough to genuinely understand what they are feeling and show that you care. Once again, it can't stop there. Something has to be done.

The change should always follow comprehension. If it is being communicated to you that something you're doing is wrong or hurtful, then change. If it is being communicated that something you do is nice, do it more often. As a person, you should want to grow yourself constantly to be a better version of yourself. Change shows that you were listening to understand and that you care.

Relationships of all types, not just romantic, could benefit from clear communication, listening to understand, and changing according to what was communicated.