5 Misconceptions About Introverts

5 Misconceptions About Introverts

We're not just shy.

56
5 Misconceptions About Introverts
123rf.com

Introverts are complicated and beautiful people that are often easily misunderstood. We sometimes can get a bad reputation for the way we are perceived. Here are a few of the most common misconceptions about introverts!

1. Being quiet does NOT mean we are stuck up.

"Do you ever talk?"

"I thought you hated me."

"I thought you were stuck up the first time I met you."

These are phrases introverts hear all the time and we HATE them. As an introvert, I am tired of hearing the same snap judgments being made about myself, and other introverts, simply because we keep to ourselves. We promise we do not hate you. We would love to get to know you, but we may just not feel comfortable initiating the conversation.

2. Not every introvert is shy.

Introverts are commonly mistaken as shy or for even having a social phobia, but it's just not the truth. According to Oxford Dictionaries, an introvert is defined as a "person predominantly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things." It has more to do with the way introverts spend their free time "recharging" rather than the level of comfort they feel being the center of attention.

3. We are not judging you.

Some of the many hidden super powers introverts possess are the abilities to observe, listen, and internalize our surroundings. Just know that we are not judging you when you tell us your biggest secret, something private, or something extremely important. We may not always be so good at finding the words to say how we feel, but just know we are listening and we care.

4. We are not lonely.

Introverts may come across as loners, but there is a huge difference between being lonely and being alone. Being alone is just away that we find peace within ourselves; it's where we can feel most comfortable.

5. We're not boring, we're just not interested.

This is a concept that I've struggled with. I used to think that because I'm not interested in partying or going out in big groups, I'm boring or don't fit in with the rest of society as media depicts it. But, I've come to accept that it's just who I am. I prefer spending time by myself, being creative, and reflecting... AND THAT'S OKAY! This doesn't mean that we are boring, it just means that introverts have a different definition of fun and relaxation.