I Know The World Will Never View You As A Rapist But Damn, You Deserve That Title

I know I should start calling my sexual assault experience rape, but the word feels foreign in my mouth.

190
growing
PJ Minier

I'm still not sure what to call my experience with you. When I was 14/15, we did everything you wanted, except intercourse. We never had the time for sex, but if we did, I'm sure you would've gotten your way. I read online that statutory rape includes blowjobs and finger intercourse. So, that means even if I did consent at that age, you raped me. But, I still can't say it.

How about that time, almost a year into our relationship, when we were about to have sex and I asked you to stop. I was scared and didn't want to continue. I said these exact words, "No, I'm not ready today." You said, "Why not?" and forced yourself inside of me. I froze with terror and you pulled out and left in anger and disappointment. Was that rape?

Afterward, I found you upset at what you had done and I comforted you. I comforted you about the fact that you forced your way inside me. It should have been the other way around. Better yet, it shouldn't have ever happened.

I have to admit that you did something wrong to me because now I am suffering. I am plagued by nightmares if you can call them that. It's not what you think. I don't constantly dream of you raping me; although, I have. The more common, terrifying nightmares are just you. Not assaulting me or hurting me, just you in my day to day life. I wake from the nightmares in a cold sweat, because the idea of ever seeing you again is horrifying.

I can't remember the last time I had a full nights sleep.

I started noticing other issues during my time with you. I hate being touched without notice or consent, especially from men. I flinch when a man raises his voice or leans in to touch me. I now hate crowds, because it's constant foreign bumping and touching. I jump at loud noises, which everyone finds amusing, but no one realizes it's PTSD. I didn't even realize it wasn't until my therapist pointed it out.

I am suffering from PTSD.

Which confirms what you did to me. You sexually assaulted me. You raped me. But I still can't say it out loud. If I do, it becomes real. I have to come to terms with being raped. I have to come to terms with dating my rapist. And, somehow, that is so much harder than admitting I was assaulted.

It was my best friend, Sierra, who even got me to admit that I was assaulted. She was the first to make the realization after I opened up to her. She even told me of times you tried to turn her against me. I was so unaware of how much you actually did to ruin my mental health.

But, now I need to admit I was raped. I suppose this article is the first step. Writing about it has become easier with each word and each article. Maybe one day, I'll be able to say I am a victim of rape. Admitting you're a victim of anything is never easy.

Maybe one day, I'll be able to call you my rapist, not my assailant and not just my ex-boyfriend. I know the world will never view you as a rapist, but damn, you deserve that title. You didn't date me. You didn't assault me. You raped me and took my virginity along with so many other things that I don't know if I'll ever get back.

You're a rapist. I hope you can live with that.