Coming Home For Christmas

Coming Home For Christmas

Please be patient with me

15
Coming Home For Christmas
https://highfiveyourlife.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/img_4434.jpg

There's no doubt about it: coming home for the holidays is one of the best times of the entire semester for a college kid; however, at times, it can prove to be a bit difficult, but not for the reasons one might think. For one, we've been away from home for a while, so we've started to learn how to be independent. We've begun doing things our way without any rebuttal from anyone, so coming home and having to relearn the ways of our homes can prove a bit difficult at times. Maybe this Christmas, you'll be seeing some family members that you haven't seen for weeks, months or even years. Maybe you'll be introduced to family or friends of family that you've never met, but are more than happy to meet. Here are some things that I as a college student would like to ask of the family and friends coming for Christmas this year:

Please know that I'm super excited to see you.

Wow wow wow, am I sure excited to see my family. I see my parents and my dogs less than I did last year, and I certainly see my extended family way less, especially being in college. It'll be nice to have family around and to take a break from the hell that is finals week(s). To be honest, excited is an understatement. I can't wait to be home.

I'm used to doing things a certain way now. Please don't be offended or hurt.

Whether it's how I do my laundry, how I make my bed, how I clean or anything of the sorts, I do things in a way that makes sense for my dorm life. My room is 8.5 x 11 feet, and I, along with at least 50 other people on my hall, share three washers and three dryers. I share a shower, sink and toilet with three other people. I tend to snack more than I do eat real meals, and I'm not used to doing things the way you probably do them. Please be patient with me. I'm trying, I promise.

Please let me help cook.

I, along with so many college students, are so excited to eat food that isn't from a vending machine, isn't dining hall slop or that can be "cooked" within 30 seconds in a microwave. I can't wait to eat real food, and I'll probably want to eat everything that we can possibly make for the holidays. If it's been on the table in the past or even mentioned, I'll probably want it to be on the table again, and I'll jump at the opportunity to help prepare dinners. Plus, the leftovers will be perfect.

Please don't ask certain questions.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" No.
"How are your grades?" Ugh.
"What do you want to do with your life?" Beats me. Cry a lot, probably.
"Do you like your professors?" No.
"Why do you sleep so much?" Because I'm tired all the time.
"Why are you tired all of the time?" Beats me.

Please be patient with me.

I'm sassy, I'm sarcastic and I'm trying to figure out my life without upsetting anyone or offending anyone. I'll try to refrain from political or religious discussion, but I might possibly fire back in certain situations. I banter and joke around with my friends, and I have to distinguish the fine line of what's acceptable and what's not. I'm sorry.

The holidays might be tough at first, but trust me, I'm super duper excited to be home for the holidays and to see everyone (including my dogs).