Coming Home From Abroad

Coming Home From Abroad

When the reality sets in that it's all over.

5
Coming Home From Abroad
Jackie Seltzer

Walking out of the Florence airport and looking around for a taxi big enough to fit me and my roommate's overweight suitcases feels like it was last week. I remember driving through tunnels, highways and cobblestone streets until we were dropped off in front of our new home for the next few months.

If you're lucky enough to study abroad, it will be one of the greatest experiences of your life. It's not until it's over that you realize the magnitude of what an incredible experience it really was. I mean, when else in your life can you say, "Last weekend my friend and I went to Paris for the weekend and ate cheesecake at Kim Kardashian's favorite restaurant."? Hopefully when I'm rich and famous... hopefully.

Coming back to an American college is nothing short of a major step down. Through the assimilation back into undergrad culture of dining hall food, frat parties, and wearing sweatpants everyday- here are a few things that will send every post abroad student into emotional chaos.

Anti-Views

No longer am I walking past the Duomo in Florence and crossing over the Ponte Vecchio to get to class. Nope. Now I'm back to slugging through a gray campus of overworked, hungover faces.

Not Having Weekend Getaways

Traveling to a new European country every weekend just for the fun of it? There needn't be an explanation for why this perk of studying abroad is sorely missed.

Food

There is not a word to adequately describe some of the food I ate during my time abroad. Sometimes I actually stop what I'm doing just to think about it. I find entertainment in thinking about what I would actually do to eat some homemade gnocchi or a fresh panino. Terrible things. Terrible, terrible things.

Missing Your Abroad Family

Traveling brings out the worst, the best, and the anxiety attacks in everyone. But there's truly no better way to get to know someone. Abroad friendships are unique and are a huge part of the abroad experience. It's inevitable that after spending everyday together in a foreign country you see the genuine side of everyone. And I wouldn't have it any other way. The abroad bond is real people.

Extreme jealousy towards future abroad students

There is nothing that will give you the same sadness as seeing the next batch of abroad students doing all things and seeing all the places you once did. They get to live through what has become to you a nostalgic memory. To the current abroad kids- live up every minute. You'll be sorry if you don't. Take my word for it, as someone who is feeling like the epitome of washed up in her home country.