How Woman In Comedy Are Going To Take Down Trump

A thank you to Samantha Bee, Rosie O'Donnell, Melissa McCarthy, and the women of SNL for their service.

21
ABC

The rocky start to the new presidency tells us that with more time things could go just as badly as everyone fears. Yet, in this short time we've also seen some amazing women who I think are a key to shutting the administration down. Let's review why, starting with a segment from "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee" staring corespondent Amy Hoggart.

I love this clip so much. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and powerless trying to take on the administration, especially if you haven't been as political active before. But keeping Trump busy by annoying him? This is definitely something we can all do, and all enjoy. Getting under his thin skin, or supporting those who already are won't burn you out. It's energizing.

We don't have to look far to see other people practicing this... especially women in comedy.

Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer was fantastic. The seconds before thinking "Oh, shoot that Melissa McCarthy?" and realizing Sean Spicer was the target of impersonation were priceless.

I'd also like to point out here that making fun of the president, and those of high profile around him on Saturday Night Live is nothing new... and had been happening since President Ford in 1975, regardless of any hidden political "agenda." The fact that Trump thinks his administration is too good for this is hilarious and absurd.

After this beautiful skit we all waited patiently to see the reactions from the White House.

According to a Politico report, the bit was troubling for Trump, and the problem was that Spicer was portrayed by a woman. As told by a close source, Trump "doesn't like his people to look weak."

That doesn't sit right. As Teen Vouge pointed out, "Melissa didn't play Spicer as a 'feminine' caricature, she created a character that felt bizarrely true to the reality of who Spicer is as a public figure."

I've noticed people are furious about this, but I'm... not? Trump seeing women as inferior isn't new. We've heard him brag about sexually assaulting them on a bus. We've seen for years that he equates value to their appearances only.

Maybe Trump's reaction to McCarthy doesn't anger me because it doesn't surprise me.

Also, if Melissa McCarthy can take down a not good person in government for arbitrary reasons outside of his control through the art of comedy, I'm all for it. We've got to fight with what weapons we can, and I've always found satire to be a great one.

After another week of news and hearing the responses, what does Saturday Night Live do for its next move? Send out more women.

We have the return of McCarthy as Spicer, as fantastic as ever with more gum chewing, hostile turnarounds of the press' questions, and use of the nickname of "Spicy."

If being played by a woman made Sean Spicer look "weak," let's add high heels!

As a bonus we have the endlessly talented Kate McKinnon playing Jess Sessions, with hilarious prosthetic ears. Please, let this work of art get Jess Sessions in trouble too!

And finally last week, the Crème de La Crème, the president himself was played by not one, but two women.

This was well done. It was not a blatant jab at the president through a standard skit. "You don't like women impersonating your men? Well, here is a woman as you," would have been too obvious. I thought there was the perfect template with this with Alec Baldwin hosting. I thought they might have Baldwin playing a different character interacting with Trump. This still worked, however. This was 100% a Leslie Skit™. The template for her backstage shenanigans was already in place.

Also let's make one thing clear; Leslie Jones is black, and a number of Trump supporters and cabinet members are racist. I really hope this skit struck a nerve with them as well, though I'm afraid to dig too deep online least I should find the proof.

And if that's not enough to anger Trump, then here we have Vanessa Bayer, also a woman, also as Trump.

Lastly, another woman also took a spotlight in the fight against the Republican administration. Here's my hint on who; she's the woman you think of first when you picture Trump's angry rants pre-White House.

That's right, Rosie O'Donnell! There's been clamoring online for her to play Steve Bannon on SNL, after she tweeted that's she's "available" to.

I really hope that happens! Trump has been feuding with Rosie O'Donnell for years! If he was upset when his press secretary was played by a woman, I can only imagine his rage at his lifelong rival playing his key adviser.

Steven Bannon is currently portrayed as the grim reaper, so imagine one week's cold open starting the same as always until the reaper pulls off the mask to reveal being O'Donnell. Any reveal of O'Donnell as Bannon would be perfect, honestly.

We also had Rosie O'Donnell change her profile picture on Twitter to strongly resemble Bannon after McCarthy was viral.

I really hope this is foreshadowing. For now we do have some hilarious SNL impersonations and a message from Samantha Bee that it is an important part of the resistance to get on Trump's nerves. He has to be so preoccupied with our trolling that he can't do any damage. Thankfully many brilliant women are up for the task.