Come Away With Me

Come Away With Me

“YOU CANNOT STAY WHERE YOU ARE AND GO WITH GOD.” -HENRY BLACKABY

332
Come Away With Me
pinterest

Modern Christianity has accepted a false impression of what God truly expects of us. They have accepted a false sense of peace and rest in the entertainment of the world. It is far to easy to be carried away by the world’s philosophies by doing nothing than to be swept away by our Savior in real joy and fulfillment. We find our “escape” from the world in movies, and music, and video games when God is asking us to come away with Him.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law doth he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:1-2

It is a constant personal struggle to meditate on the Lord day and night. It is hard work to fill our minds with everything that is good, lovely, pure, noble, just, and true. {Philippians 4:8} It does not happen on its own.

The one who came from heaven to earth for us and died on that cruel cross of shame on Calvary’s hill; who spared not himself; who endured the contradiction of sinners. He who bore that agony in the garden and on the cross, He will look at us- and what He will look for is this: how we spent our time in this world after we realized what He had done for us.

It is the terror of love you see, not the fear of torment. You will look into that beloved face and into those eyes and you will realize, as you have never done before, what He did for you. Then you will realize with shame what you did not do for Him. Oh, says Paul, buy up the opportunity, do not waste a second. Keep that in the forefront of your mind.

-D. Martin Lloyd-Jones

How many times do we sit and watch things on television or fill our minds with music that glorifies sin, and violence, and evil? We sit and turn our brains off to the things of God, and take it all the false ideas of the world, and really, of Satan. Satan loves to fill our minds with garbage, and he is working hard every day to take control of your heart and your mind.

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 2 Corinthians 6:16-17

We get so addicted to things of the world that really, our effect on the world is next to nothing. Jesus calls us to be dead to the world; dead to the world, and alive unto Christ! He promises us rest and fulfillment in Him and Him alone. Are we willing to give up our movie time or Tuesday night television schedule to spend more time with our Savior, and meditating on the things He has said?

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor. John 12:25-26

If we truly long to become like Christ, why do we live the way we do? We are called to hate the things that God hates and love the things that God loves.Would God stand up and cheer over the performances at that concert? Would he get excited about the newly released secular album? Does He become so enthralled by that television drama that life gets put on hold while the new episode airs?

Or does it break His heart to see our hearts so divided and distracted from the things of His word?

So often, we feel as though we can ask, “How little can I let Christ into my life, and still be ok? How much can I step into the world, and not have God angry with me?” When instead we should be asking, “How much time can I spend Jesus today? What can I give up to give Him more of my mind and heart? What is my next step in becoming more like Him and closer to Him?”

Amy Carmichael said this, “We often ask the question, ‘What is the harm of it?’ — about reading certain books, following certain pursuits, taking our recreation in certain ways. Perhaps we have been working hard and need a change of thought and rest of brain. What is the harm of the latest novel, even if it happens to be rather unprofitable?

And we who have not the time to read one out of a thousand of the real books that have been written spend a precious hour by deliberate choice over something not worthwhile. We love to live life to the uttermost, to touch souls to eternal issues. Entire separation of Christ and devotion to Him is required. Is there no other path to reach our goal?

There is not.

Ours should not be the love that asks, ‘How little?’ but ‘how much?’; the love that pours out its all and revels in the joy of having anything to pour on the feet of its Beloved. The question ‘what is the harm?’ falls from us and is forgotten when we Calvary, the Crucified, and the risen-again Rabboni of our Souls.”

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. Matthew 22:37

See if we are busy loving the things of the world with part of our hearts, we cannot be loving God with all of them too. God calls us as Christians to such a higher standard than we so often set for ourselves, and that the world sets for us. We justify it by saying that it is harmless, and for entertainment purposes only, but mark it down, that we can not live set-apart lives with one foot in the world.

We cannot be dazzled by the things of the world AND the things of the Lord.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 1 John 2:15-16

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4

We can not feast on the things of the world, and grow in Christ at the same time. We need to come OUT of the world and offer them a different live according to a different standard that other men and women would not even attempt for God. We are to be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect. How can we even try to be perfect while we sit and take in everything that is evil from the world?

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11

God has offered us a life of peace, and joy, and rest of infinite proportions and we settle for worldly entertainment and ideals.

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy in offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”-C.S. Lewis

What are the worldly cravings that you need to lay aside? Entertainment that twists and perverts God’s plan and makes sin look beautiful? Music that glorifies darkness and perversion? Internet choices or magazines that influence you toward materialism or selfishness? Books that lead to a preoccupation with romance or make sin seem right and good and normal? Even friendships that lead you further away from Christ instead of deepening your relationship with Him?

Why is it that we say we love God so much and want to live to make Him known that we waste so much time on trifles? We literally offer our minds and hearts to Satan readily.

He is calling you, drawing you. What will you answer Him?

“Jesus says, ‘Rise up, my love, my fair one and come away.’ He asks you to come out from the world and be separate and touch not the unclean thing. Make no reserves. Come altogether away from seflishness- from anything which would divide your chaste and pure love to Christ- your soul’s Husband. Come away from your old habits. Avoid the appearance of evil. Come away from old friendships which may tempt you back to the flesh posts of Egypt. Leave all these things. Come away to private communion. Come away, shut the doors of your chamber and talk with your Lord Jesus and have close and intimate dealing with Him. Oh, take care that you begin aright by coming right away from the world, by making your devotion perfect, complete, unreserved, sincere, spotless. ” Charles Spurgeon