11/28 10 Tips on How to Combat Sickness While In College

Isn't it ironic that finals season just happens to be cold season? If you're in college currently combating through a cold, here are some tips to avoid and combat sickness.

8
marykate mclaughlin

1. Wash your hands! 

Washing our hands after going to the bathroom is one of the earliest lessons we learned growing up but it still holds true. In college, almost all of the surfaces that we touch are shared with other people. Desks, door handles, etc. Make sure to wash your hands a lot, especially after spending a decent amount of time in shared spaces with other people.

2. Invest in Emergen-C or AirBorne 

I've been using Emergen-C and AirBorne to combat colds for years. These Vitamin-C supplements may taste disgusting but they help support your immune system while combating colds. Wake up with a cold and feeling groggy? Take one of these tablets and you'll be feeling awake.

3. Go to the gym and sweat it out

Have you been avoiding working out because you haven't felt well recently? Instead of avoiding the gym, try to get a quick workout in. Sweating can help loosen up mucus and can clear your head a little. Also, while working out, you get distracted and can forget about the cold you're suffering through.

4. Visit the student health center 

You may have never stepped foot in the student health center but it is a resource you should take advantage of while dealing with a cold. Most student health centers will provide students with over the counter medicine until you can get some of your own from the drug store.

5. Clean your room 

When you're sick, the last thing you probably want to do is clean your room. But it's important to get rid of dust that has been collecting up since August when you moved in. Having a clean room will also help clear your mind as well.

6. Remember to eat 

You might be feeling exhausted, but it's important to nourish your body, especially when you're sick. If you don't want to leave your room to go to the dining commons, stock up on soups, Gatorade, tea, and oatmeal to make yourself.

7. Invest in a humidifier 

Not only will a humidifier help loosen up mucus, but it will also help keep your skin moisturized as well. Amazon sells them in all sorts of shapes and sizes so you can get the perfect size to fit on your desk.

8. Sleep 

One of the most important tips to combat illness is to SLEEP! Sleeping is so important and while you're struggling through sickness, being well-rested is key. If you can't sleep through the night, invest in some NyQuil or try to take naps throughout the day.

9. Stay hydrated 

Staying hydrated is so important in combatting sickness. Make sure to have a reusable water bottle on hand so that you can fill up when need be. Water and Gatorade will be your bffs while fighting a cold so try and avoid dairy and alcohol until your cold gets better.

10. Avoid sharing drinks and food 

One of the most common ways sickness is spread is through the sharing of drinks and food. Don't pick up an illness or spread yours to someone else by sharing.