You Were Not Always Like This
popular

You Were Not Always Like This

Be kind and compassionate to those who are where you once were.

3860
You Were Not Always Like This
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-and-woman-shaking-hands-1249158/

In my past article I Don't Have It All Together, I talked about how no one has it all together. This is something I know and I believe, but I had to get a little reminder.

Let's take a look into my journal.

Someone whom I love dearly gave me a prayer request, and I prayed. But, as I was praying, I was saying one thing with my mouth and my heart was saying something completely different. I was thinking why asking me for this specific prayer request when you already know that this way lead to destruction and you choose to do it anyway. I could hear the Holy Spirit whispering so loud REMEMBER YOU ONCE LIVED LIKE THIS.

Of course I did exactly what a "righteous" person would do, I started to defend myself. I started to compare my old ways to theirs and I was like I did not use to do such things. As if my sins were "okay". If you have any experience with the Holy Spirit convicting you of something, you will know that it didn't stop there. I was so bothered. I started to flip my bible because I could remember a verse about "you once lived like this", But I couldn't remember where to find it. I knew it was in the new testament specifically a letter from Paul, but it was just hard to find at the moment. I went to my bestie "Google" buddy wasn't helping either. I went back to the bible and still nothing. All of a sudden, I remembered the keywords, and Google came through.

Colossians 3: 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.

I saw the word, yet I was still defending myself. Then, I realized that it didn't matter whether my sins were different or not, I was still a rebel against God, and I was doing things that He was not pleased with which is exactly why I needed saving, and I still do. I need His grace and Mercy every second.

I had to ask God for forgiveness and I decided that I will be praying for that person harder because the same way that God called me out of my grave is the same way that He can call them too.

God works in mysterious ways friend! I started this growth plan at my church and one of my goals is to memorize scripture. I had told myself that I would memorize at least one verse a week "baby step." I never thought the first one I would intentionally memorize would be from a conviction.

I shared all this with you because I know that sometimes we get carried away and we forget where God took us. It also has a lot to do with where our heart is with God. I would say that I never want to lose sight of my salvation story because I don't want to ever think that somehow I deserved the finished work of Jesus. In that scenario, I had that mindset, but I had to quickly realized that the same grace I needed is the same grace that everyone else in the world needs. The same God that brought me to light will bring them to light as well. I am not proud at all with what happened; that is not why I am sharing this with you. I am sharing with you so that you REMEMBER.

No matter where you are in life, remember that you were not always this person. You are a parent, remember how you once used to a rebel against your parents. You are a teacher, remember how you once used to think that teachers were unfair. You are a husband or a wife, remember how you used to be annoyed being single. You are a well-known writer, remember how you used to seek other people to validate your work. You are a supervisor now, remember how you used to dislike certain things about supervisors. You consider yourself successful, remember when you used to doubt yourself. The list could go on and on. But, what I really want you to remember is the word of God because maybe the examples I give, you can't even relate to them. But, listen to the word of God. Colossians 3:7 " you used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived".

You were not always who you are today. Maybe you are a better version of yourself maybe you are not. But, do not mistreat the others that are where you once used to be. Be kind and compassionate, encourage them, share your story with them. I believe that testimonies are powerful. So, do not pretend that you always had it together because the truth is, none of us have.

People will relate to your weaknesses more than your strengths, so share that and let your strength empower them.

Xoxo,

DD