Colony House

Colony House

Only The Lonely: Album Review

17
Colony House
www.rcarecords.com

The American Tennessean alt-rock band “Colony House” just released their sophomore album called Only the Lonely January 13th worldwide. They started playing while in high school and only continued to grow. Their debut album When I was Younger was released in 2014 and was the start to their success, reaching No. 154 on the Billboard’s Top 200 and No. 3 on the Heatseekers Albums chart.

How do you describe their music? Their a wonderful fusion of bands like Switchfoot, COIN, Bad Suns and Artic Monkey’s all wrapped up into one. They describe themselves as: “rock and roll” with “stripped down instruments” and are influenced by bands like U2 and Cold War Kids. They’ve toured with well-known bands like Needtobreathe, Ben Rector and Switchfoot, and fans who enjoyed their last album will like this album just as much. Their first single they put out for this album “You know it” is a very upbeat fun song about going home after being on the road. This is a type of dance to in room while doing laundry or taking a nice Summer drive just as their songs “1234”, “Was it Me” and “This Road” Their simple yet catchy lyrics and high energy instrumentation make for a fun few songs. However, band does have a slower, darker and more serious side which they show through their songs like: “Cannot Do This Alone”, “Lonely”, “Follow Me Down” and their last but probably the deepest, rawest and mostly emotional song off the album, “This Beautiful Life” in which they use an acoustic and electric guitar and keyboard, soft backing vocals and an echo effect on the main vocals creating a hauntingly and stripped down sound.

The lyrics “What in the world am I looking for, what is the peace that I can find? / This longing for, I can’t ignore but am I able to see the good and taste it on my tongue? / shows the bands darker and poetic side. It asks questions that every human asks making it easy to connect to. Overall, this band delivers a little bit of everything. Life, love, and heartbreak making it a relatable well rounded album. There’s something in it for everyone’s ear so, if you got a few minutes, go check them out, I think you’ll like what you hear.