Confessions Of A College Introvert

Confessions Of A College Introvert

I'm that nerd who sits in my room alone every night. Here's why.
37

If you Google the word "introvert," you get "a shy, reticent person." Reticent means "not revealing one's thoughts or feelings readily." That's not what an introvert is.

Sure, introverts can be shy, but not all of us are. You can be outgoing and still be introverted. To be introverted means to prefer one's own company over the company of other people. This means I highly prioritize my alone time. This is the time I take to "recharge" after a long day at work, or several hours of social interaction.

Being introverted doesn't necessarily mean antisocial. It doesn't mean I don't like people. It just means I like my quiet, alone time more than I like being around others with whom I feel like I have to constantly converse. Having a bunch of friends over is an introvert's nightmare, because we feel so much pressure to entertain them, when we know that when we're alone, we don't have to entertain ourselves. We can do whatever we want, whether that be laying in bed, reading a book, or watching Netflix, in no one's presence but our own- and that's all an introvert wants to relax at the end of a long day.

Introverts like having friends. Don't get me wrong, I love going to grab dinner in the dining hall with friends. But when it comes to my free time, I like to be alone. Sure, I like to socialize once in a while, but constant social interaction is easily draining. And alone is the only way I can be productive and get anything done.

So my confession is this: I like being alone in my room. Some people may find that sad, and try to drag me out to parties, but the truth is is that's where I'm happiest. I don't sit alone in my room because I'm sad- in fact, it's just the opposite. It because that makes me happy. And many people will frown at the idea and encourage me to get out and socialize more, or perhaps claim that I am wasting the college experience. But for me, being alone is being productive, calm, and happy. And I can always choose to go out with friends if I want to. But most of the time, I like to be alone, where I am most comfortable.

So my lesson learned as a resident college student introvert is this: do what makes you happy. You are the person who knows yourself best, so don't let anyone else try to tell you how to live your life. If sitting alone in your room makes you feel sad and lonely, then you should definitely go out with friends to cheer up. But if being alone in your room doing homework on a Friday night is your cup of tea, like it is mine, (call me a nerd all you want, my grades are fabulous) then no one has the right to tell you not to do it. Do what works for you. Because you cannot depend on anyone else for your happiness except for yourself.