College tips for incoming students

7 Tips For Starting College Students

Keep these tips in mind when preparing for the next big adventure in your life: college.

157
7 Tips For Starting College Students

College is going to be one of the most exciting and rewarding times in your life. The freedoms of college will help you learn and grow as a person. Since college is such an important aspect of your life, you do not want to squander these four precious years. These are seven tips to help you get the most out of your college experience.

1. Buy Used Books Whenever Possible

assets.rbl.ms

The average college student will spend about $1200 on textbooks every year. Since this huge expense is not included in your tuition or covered by scholarships, it can potentially destroy your small budget. Used books are available online at a fraction of the cost of new ones, so it may be in your best interest to completely avoid the campus bookstore. You can also buy e-books, which are always cheaper and easier to transport on a tablet or laptop.

2. Create a Class Schedule That Works for You

assets.rbl.ms

College is the first time you get the chance to build a custom schedule, so you need to take advantage of this opportunity. Some people are just more productive at night than they are in the morning, If you are one of these people, then you need to make sure to schedule all of your classes in the afternoon or evening. It is impossible to learn if you are constantly missing your classes.

3. Write a Flawless Resume

assets.rbl.ms

The only way to get a great job or internship is by having a flawless resume. This document is the only way to distinguish yourself from everyone else, so one small flaw can ruin your chances to land your dream job. If you contact the best resume writing service in Chicago, then you will not have to worry about this problem. It is also a good idea to join a few school activities to help make your resume stand out even more.

4. Get Out of the Dorm Room

assets.rbl.ms

There are hundreds of things to do on a college campus at any given moment, so you do not want to spend all of your time sitting in the dorm room. Socializing and creating new friendships is the only way you will get the most out of your college experience. You may even stay in touch with the people you meet at school for the rest of your life. The dorm room should only be used for sleeping, eating, and studying.

5. Stick to a Budget

assets.rbl.ms

Most college students are forced to live on a limited budget, yet approximately 43 percent of them are not tracking their spending. Sticking to a budget is vitally important for a college student because it is the only way you can save money. You do not want to be forced to go without food for a few days because you spent too much money on clothes or concert tickets. The budgeting skills you learn in college can be used the rest of your life.

6. Make Sure to Sleep

assets.rbl.ms

It can be tempting to go out partying every night, but the body needs sleep to function. The average college student only gets about six hours of sleep every night. This is two hours less than the recommended sleep numbers for a young adult. The brain can't properly retain or remember information if it is sleep deprived, so your test scores are destined to fall. If your schedule prevents you from sleeping eight hours every night, then try to take a short nap in the afternoon or early evening.

7. Do Not Stress About Perfect Grades

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Fphotos%2F261909%2Fpexels-photo-261909.jpeg%3Fauto%3Dcompress%26cs%3Dtinysrgb%26dpr%3D2%26h%3D750%26w%3D1260&ho=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.pexels.com&s=174&h=f98763e239ad28e0126a1ec0ad99f082940a99b102a91252555a362a562ef8c6&size=980x&c=3739817903 image-library="0" pin_description="" caption="" photo_credit_src="https://images.pexels.com/photos/261909/pexels-photo-261909.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&dpr=2&h=750&w=1260" crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Fphotos%252F261909%252Fpexels-photo-261909.jpeg%253Fauto%253Dcompress%2526cs%253Dtinysrgb%2526dpr%253D2%2526h%253D750%2526w%253D1260%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fimages.pexels.com%26s%3D174%26h%3Df98763e239ad28e0126a1ec0ad99f082940a99b102a91252555a362a562ef8c6%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3739817903%22%7D" expand=1 photo_credit="images.pexels.com"] images.pexels.com

You may think you need perfect grades to get your dream job, but that is simply not the case. Making the Dean's List may open a few more doors, but you will still have plenty of good opportunities if you maintain a solid GPA. Your work ethic and performance on the job will ultimately determine the success of your future career. There is simply no reason to get stressed or have a panic attack because you got a B instead of an A.