Ways To Surviving College

Tips Everyone Should Know To Survive College

Here are 10 tips every college student needs to know to make it through every semester.

633
Taylor Sagan

1. Sit In The Right Seat

https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/education/grand/

Sitting in a class of 100+, it can be very hard to space out and end up scrolling through Twitter on your phone or taking Snapchats with various filters. While this can definitely pass the time, this can lead to missing a whole hour worth of information that can be on the next class. To avoid this, make your unassigned 'assigned' seat in the first 2 rows to ensure you won't get distracted knowing the professor can see everything you're doing.

2. Stay Organized

https://pxhere.com/en/photo/911859

Organization plays an important role in staying stress-free and on track. Whether it's your dorm room, calendar, notes, or backpack, etc, keeping yourself organized will always keep you from getting stressed, overwhelmed, or confused on what needs to get done. Make it a point to make sure everything is organized as many times a week as you feel necessary to make sure everything in your life stays on track.

3. Lean On Your Friends

When living away at college, life's dynamic can completely change. You don't have your family there to support you when things get hard. In order to keep yourself from feeling totally isolated, it is important to lean on your friends. When living at Storrs, I have learned to open up and talk to my friends about what's going on in my life and allowing them to do the same. While it may not be the same as having your family, you would be surprised at how fast friends can become a second family to you.

4. The Right Diet

https://conferences.uconn.edu/dining-catering/

For most students, dining halls are the main ways in which a hot meal is provided, and let's be real. The dining hall food isn't always the best. Therefore, it is important to pick out the right foods to eat from the wrong ones. At most dining halls, there is usually a salad bar which is always a go-to when there are no other good or appetizing options available. Some of the different options are always good to look for including items such as stir fry bar, mac and cheese bar, etc. However, there are a few options to avoid are options that are there everyday including the pasta, grilled cheese, etc. It's always important to watch and know what options are a go and which ones are a no.

5. Classmates

While getting up and going to class is hard enough, making friends in those classes seems even harder. While this can seem intimidating and hard, it is definitely worth it. Exchanging numbers and contact information can go a long way. When you can't seem to get up in the morning, fall sick and can't leave your bed, or don't understand a topic in the class, it is very important to have people you can reach out to someone for help, and provide the same for another individual. I highly recommend you introduce yourself to the people near you, it can really help you out in the long run.

6. Make Time To Relax

https://pixnio.com/people/female-women/architectur...

While things can be hectic and it seems you're always on the move, studying, or have something to get done, it is very important to find time to stop and just relax. Whether it's going for a walk, watching Netflix, or taking a nap, it is crucial that you find time to take a mental break. This can prevent mental breakdowns or getting burnt out. So, grab a snack, grab a blanket, put the textbook down, and find time for yourself.

7. Find The Right Study Habits

https://pixabay.com/en/books-study-literature-lear...

Learning all the information for 4-5 different classes can be extremely challenging and overwhelming. Therefore, it is important to understand that not all study habits and tips work for everyone. While one thing may work for your bestie, that same technique might land you a D. Therefore, it is important to explore and find the best way for you to study the material in front of you. While it is important to take tips from those around you, it is also crucial to learn for yourself what works for you, and not other people.

8. Find Time To Hit The Gym

https://libreshot.com/kit-for-exercising-at-the-gym/

Between homework, social life, family life, clubs, etc, it seems nearly impossible to find time to do something as trivial as going to the gym. However, finding time to do this can improve mental and physical health. Hitting the gym, even a few times a week, can make you more energized and even more focused on schoolwork and other things in your life. So, find an hour or two out of your day or week, and hit the gym. Don't let the Freshman 15 hit you every year.

9. Find Time To Go Home

https://www.maxpixel.net/Summer-Happy-Sunset-Beach...

It can be very easy to get caught up in the routine of the hectic life of being at school. However, it is very important to find time to go home and take a break from the hectic life of school. Going home can help detach and relax from the constant going when you're at school. Plus, it's very important to find time to come home and spend quality time with your family, because I can guarantee they miss you even more than you miss them. So take some time, don't make any plans, pack a small bag, and head some for a night or two.

10. Have Fun

At the end of the day, it's important to put the books down and have some fun. Whether it's game night, wine night, going out to a frat party, or movie night, it's important to spend time having fun and forgetting all of the stresses of the world and focusing on anything but school work. So grab some lipstick, a bottle of wine, or a great movie and hit up your friends to let go and have some fun.