How College Students Define Love

How College Students Define Love

We may be young college kids, but we know what love is.

241
How College Students Define Love

Love, the definition in the dictionary, is an intense feeling of affection or a person or thing that one loves. In everyone's opinion, it's hard to put love into real words, words with feeling. It comes in many shapes and sizes and is different to every single person in our world. Everyone defines it differently, and there are so many ways to see it through our eyes.

Madison - 18 years old, single

“I define love as an unconditional bond shared between two people.”

Trevor - 19 years old, in a relationship

“To me love is just a feeling. But it needs to be expressed with passion. It can't just get up and walk away if it's there, it's there. You need to care for your significant other and be there for them in the darkest times”

Marissa - 19 years old, in a relationship

“My definition of love is simple. Love makes you feel as though you are home. It's the feeling that you never want to breathe the air around you if it has not been contaminated by their being or their breath first. It's better than any fresh air or straight oxygen you could fill your lungs with.”

George - 20 years old, in a relationship

“True love is when your girlfriend takes you to Denny's at 11:30 at night and buys you chocolate chip pancakes."

Alexis - 19 years old, single

"Love is what you make of it. It's about being selfless, and giving your all no matter what. It's about being the best you can be at the end of the day. It's a feeling that is not easy to describe, but the best feeling once you know it. Love is universal, therefore it has no limit, and not just one definition."

Olivia - 19 years old, in a relationship

"A lot of people say that love changes you, but I don't think that's quite it. I think love is doing all of the same things you did before, but wanting that one person by your side through it all. Love is finding someone you can shamelessly be yourself with and wanting to share all of those little things you do and love with that person."

Renae - 18 years old, single

"Love is the little things everyone takes for granted. I think "falling" in love is a pretty extraordinary phrase, because it's almost like a part of you has to be let go, and you're totally happy with that. You're willing to completely let go of a part of yourself, and trust the other person to hold on to that other half of your heart. It's the tightness in your chest and the knot in your stomach that you don't want to leave. It's the feeling of always having someone there, even when you feel alone. It's the way you hear them say your name, because you know it's different. It's being able to find beautiful colors in someone's eyes, even if they're "just brown." It's the way your eyes dilate when you see the person, or your favorite pet, or while doing your favorite activity. Love is everywhere, and it's so exciting."

Mandi - 20 years old, single

"Love is whatever it needs to be. It could be a group of platonic friends or a partner, but love is also a deep understanding and respect for one another."

The dictionary can't just give us a definition of love and expect us to know right away what it is. It's not something you can just give meaning to. It's something you feel inside you, something that no other feeling can compare to.