7 Reasons To Cherish The Holiday Season More In College
Travel

It's the most wonderful time of the year—and it just got a million times better.

116

As a first-year college student, I'm in the midst of a challenge that was once unfathomable to me: independence. Not being able to talk deep my mother or laugh hard with my siblings or chow down with my father has been an uphill battle. For sure. And though over the months it's gotten easier, it still has yet to become normal. I don't think it'll ever feel normal, and that might be alright, because it makes the holiday season a million times better—and it's not like the holiday season wasn't good enough already.

As we head home for Thanksgiving and get ready for Christmas break, here are a few reasons why being in college is making me ready to cherish the holiday spirit even more, and I'm sure my fellow homesick homebodies can relate.

1. Being bored sounds so exciting

http://finda.photo/image/14885

When I was a kid, I always felt that over long breaks from school I might smash my head into a wall, and I know my mother felt the same way. I was always looking for constant stimulation, and in college, I really think I've found that. There's mountains of work, friends to chat with right around the corner, and always some intriguing event going on. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. And exhausting. And being bored right now seems like bliss to me.

2. I finally have something to say when my relatives ask me for life updates

https://pixabay.com/en/thought-cloud-idea-paper-cut-out-1014406/

In high school, when my extended family would prompt me to let them know what's up in my life, I didn't have much to say. It was always the same old, same old. Nothing too interesting or that they weren't already aware of. But now, I live a life completely removed from what they knew of me before, and I've got a lot to say. I've learned so much, lived so much, and I finally feel like I have something to bring to the table (but I'll still let them bring all the casseroles and pies).

3. Homemade meals seem like Heaven to me at this point

https://stocksnap.io/photo/3J13XAT5LM

The holiday season already offered up food that is out of this world. There's nothing in this world I love more than bonding with good people overstuffing my belly with great food. Boy, am I excited for that. But it's not just the holiday feasts I'm anxiously awaiting. I'm dying for the home-cooked meals. The restaurants in my hometown. And yes, of course, the holiday feasts. With all the dining hall meals that seem to get more bland and repetitive by the day, good old-fashioned family cookin' seems like a dream to me.

4. No more digging around in my own pockets for some loose change for a little while

https://skitterphoto.com/photos/1221/falling-euro-coins

Over the past few months, I have definitely been making sure that I'm eating well, but that implies eating out every weekend, and that can get pricey. And it's not just the food I've been dropping dollars on—it's the dorm decorations, the toiletries, the nights out, and a million other things that have been eating away at my bank account. But at home—my parents are going to be spending their own money on me to buy those trivial things?! People are going out of there way to buy me gifts?! Halle-frickin'-lujah.

5. Pets

https://unsplash.com/photos/yu385T6GN_c

Now, this point is a little self-explanatory, but c'mon, it's so important. Animals are so important. My dogs are. SO. IMPORTANT. I definitely see dogs around campus, but I can't just stop and pet every random lady's dog, and it's certainly not the same as having one to run around within a big yard or sleep within my own bed. And no one is going to be more excited to see me than my dogs, and if that isn't an embodiment of the holiday spirit, then I don't know what is.

6. Any bed is better than my million story high lofted twin

https://unsplash.com/photos/279cd9NOdeI

Speaking of sleeping in my own bed, Lord knows how much I need that. It'll be so nice to stretch out. To roll out in the morning instead of having to hike down. To crawl back in at night without falling a few times. The holiday season does mean a few nights on the futon at my grandparent's, but I'll bargain for even that over my school bed any day. The opportunity to fall asleep knowing that my family is only a few feet away is so refreshing.

7. The true meaning of the holidays has become more evident to me than ever

https://stocksnap.io/photo/LIAQ9N16WK

Family. That is what I'm looking forward to about the holiday season more than ever. Before college, everyone always said that holidays were all about all the lovey-dovey stuff, but I could never really remember the reason for the season. It was always about the presents for me. The food. The perks. I know I mentioned all those other reasons that may make me seem a little selfish and un-holiday-like, but truly, in my heart, I'm so excited to experience the genuine holiday feelings for the first time. I miss my family like hell, and regardless of whether we are sitting around a fire, stuffing our faces with turkey, exchanging gifts, or singing Christmas songs, I'm so excited to do it all in their presence. Presence is the real present this season.

I'm so excited to cherish this holiday season like no other, the way it is supposed to be cherished. It just took a little push to make me realize what has always been right in front of my eyes.