The Difference Between New Adult vs. Young Adult

Defining the difference in the book community.
1237

If you see the title and you don't know what I'm talking about, then you must not be an active reader. Don't worry though, you could still be an active reader and still not know what I'm talking about.

In the reading community there has been a rising of debut books that have been listed as New Adult books. These books are designed to reach out to the 18 and older readers. Or mostly college students, because the characters in the books are in college and therefore the readers can relate to the the stories. The big difference in New Adult versus Young Adult is that New Adult contains more sexual incidences. This, of course, attracts more college-aged readers but also older readers. Now these books aren't like "Fifty Shades of Grey," but these authors know the thin line between erotica and sexual scenes.

Young Adult books seem to be drifting off the surface. They aren't that popular like they once were. After the "Twilight" series has ended, and even the "Harry Potter" series is over, the craze of Young Adult seems to have met its disappearing end. Of course, Young Adult is still out there, but it seems to be reaching out more towards the 13 and younger audiences; almost like tween novels. There of course is even a thinner line between Young Adult and Juvenile books. Adults read Young Adult, but without new novels coming out and more adults being interested in erotica, it's becoming harder for Young Adult to rise to fame again.

Going into sales and marketing really quick. If you go into a bookstore, there is only a Young Adult section. Although, you can find New Adult books in the Young Adult section. Sometimes if the book is too sexual, it will be removed from the Young Adult section and moved to the Adult section. Therefore it gets confusing for readers who are interested in New Adult books to find a certain book they want to read. Finally, these readers who are interested in New Adult just read this up-and-coming genre from their phone with a Amazon Kindle app or iPhone book app. Young Adult books are fairly expensive starting at $12 and going to $20 or more. New Adult books aren't that expensive, ranging from $2 to $6, which makes these books more popular among the college community who can afford a good read at a decent price.

In the entertainment industry, books have a big impact. A lot of the books, after great success, are turned into movies. These books are very popular among the entertainment industry and readers. Readers will most likely go to the theater to see the movie because it represents a favorite book they read.

In the end, New Adult seems to be the up-and-coming craze, with Young Adult having less effect on the population. Readers seem to be more entertained with the plots of sexual romance than tween, middle-school romance. This could also be the change of generation, and the maturation of readers. Although Young Adult is still seen in bookstores and is still popular among different readers, readers are still turning towards the newfound New Adult books found mainly on online bookstores where these books are getting 3.5 to 5 stars daily.