From The College Student Going Into Their Final Semester

Be daring, take the risk, and enjoy the ride.

15

Four years ago, I packed my bags and took a plane more than 1,000 miles away from home to move into my freshmen year dorm room.

I was excited, optimistic and terrified all at the same time. I remember my older sister and all her friends, who were recent college graduates, reminding me to cherish every moment because these next four years were going to fly by. High school took four years, and to me, they dragged on forever, so I couldn't imagine college being much different. Fast forward three and a half years, and here I am: a senior going into my final semester of college in complete denial that graduation is happening in less than five months. Once again, I find myself excited, optimistic, and absolutely terrified -- only this time on completely different levels.

I had the best college experience I ever could have asked for. Mornings were spent at the library, afternoons were spent at the beach, and nights were spent with people who grew to become some of the best friends that I will ever have. I can't fathom the fact that I've learned from more than 30 courses, took more than 100 exams and was able to live off campus food for nearly four years of my life. I came to college unexposed to both the thrills and hardships that come with crossing the threshold into adulthood and will leave believably prepared for the real world. I've had my fair share of pulling all-nighters fighting to stay awake just to ace my exam the next morning, recovering from nights spent consuming one too many whiskey sours, and hectic days juggling school, work and quality time with my friends.

When I turned 16 years old and got a job for the first time in my life, I thought I completely understood the value of a dollar when deciding whether to get both pairs of shoes I wanted out on a shopping spree or just the one pair. Then I came to college, started paying for my own food, bills and gas, and conformed to putting my spare change aside for my new shoe fund. My heart skips a beat every time I imagine how much my stress level will rise when I graduate and am forced to balance working a full-time job with a demanding social life and all other compelling distractions that will tempt me to call out of work once Friday rolls around.

But as frightened as I am by what the future will bring, I can't wait to take a crack at it. I can't wait to wake up next to the person I love every morning, get a job at a company that I love working for, make a decent income that allows me to enjoy the little things in life, and spend my time home during vacations doing nothing but enjoying my minimal time home with my family. Because spending my summers and winters stressing out trying to balance working to reimburse my bank account, enjoying my time home and with my family, catching up with my high school friends, and finding some quality "me" time can be undeniably exhausting.

Adulthood is scary, but the best thing about finishing your final semester of college is realizing that everyone you're surrounded by is in the same place as you are.

So be daring, take the risk, and enjoy the ride.