I’m A College Student, But I Don’t Call Home Often, And That’s Okay

I’m just enjoying my newly found independence and freedoms that come with moving away to school.

479

As a freshman college student, I know the appeal of calling home. You need food, you need money, you have a question that isn’t quite right for a text, or you just simply missing talking to your parents or want to tell someone about your day.

I know people that call their parents once a week, once every few days or nearly every day.

And there’s nothing wrong with that, really.

I honestly love the close relationships some people have with their families.

Me? Well when I first moved in, I started off calling about once a week, maybe a little more often. My dad wanted to know everything I was doing: how my classes were, how practices were going, if I was eating enough, etc.

Then, I started calling a little less. It would get to be a week, then a week and a half, and sometimes two weeks or not at all.

I mean, I go home every three to four weeks. So after being home for a few days, it kind of seemed less important to call AGAIN after only a couple of days.

Then my dad came to my first track meet before winter break, so we caught up then. I didn’t feel like I had to call again before I came home for break because nothing really felt new.

I text him every once in a while, usually when I need something from him, or vice versa. But he’s not really much of a texter.

I text my sister much more often, almost every day. They’re mostly updates from her about high school, the sports teams, and all the latest gossip.

It honestly comes down to the relationships I have with them. Unfortunately, I’m not super close with my family like other people are, so calling daily doesn’t exactly top my priority list. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love them.

I’m simply enjoying the newly found independence and freedom that comes with moving away to school. And truthfully, I’m just so BUSY. If I’m not in class, I’m at practice, doing homework, or eating.

A lot goes on during my days, but if it crosses my mind, of course, I’ll call.

I just really like being on my own and away from home. And sometimes, it’s nice to live in my own independence.

I’m totally not calling out the people who talk to their parents every day, like good for you! I wish I had that kind of relationship with my family!

I even started to feel a little guilty about it when I started forgetting to call on a weekly basis, and I had to remind myself that it wasn’t a big deal.

My dad knows that I’m doing fine. I’m sure he would like to hear that every once in a while, but I’m also sure he doesn’t need to hear it from me every day.

I don’t call too much, but I think that’s okay.