The first week of college was out to get me, and got me good.

Here's How College Is Going For Me (Hint: Not Well)

I'm a Cali girl, living in a whole new world, this isn't working well…

143

The first week of college, done. Check. Glad it's over with because it's been chaotic. Even more chaotic than finals week during high school. Why? Well, I seem to have the worst luck out of anyone in my family. My dad has so much good karma I'm surprised that he hasn't won the lottery, while my mom thinks everything so through that nothing happens to her.

Me though? Well, let me show you through a timeline of events…

August 17th: Move in day

I find out, mid-move in, that one of the carts I bought doesn't fit underneath my bed. So we go to Home Depot and get two-inch blocks of scrap wood to life the bed the extra two inches it needs and we get back to the chaos

home depot

August 20th: First day of school

I mean what can go wrong on the first day of school? How about almost locking your keys in your dorm room, then when you go to back for them, you leave your phone and after about three tries, you've finally made it out of the room with your keys and phone at the same time. Once class rolls around and I feel like I have everything under control, I now have to figure out where to put my longboard in class because I can't lock it up outside. By the middle of my second class, my pen has stopped working and I can't get another for the rest of the day.

August 21st: Second day of classes

"Okay, now I've got it," I tell myself as I walk to my Bio 100 lab class until I realize that it's taking longer than the 15 minutes I expected. So by the time I get to class, there were no open seats. Great. I learn later in class that the girl sitting next to me is on the waitlist, while I'm actually enrolled in the class. (I end up leaving 30 minutes early rather than 15 for my English 102 class later that day).

giphy- full house

My roommate and I both end up having so much stress about all of our classes later that night, that my parents send us Chip cookies the next day to cheer us up.

August 22nd: Third day of class

This day, I had just forgotten to print my math notes, but it was Wednesday at this point and I didn't think the week could get any worse. Except. It did

August 23rd: Laundry day

Did your mom ever tell you not to dry your clothes on high heat? If so, did she tell you why? It's because it shrinks your clothes. Luckily my roommate had a worse time with shrunken clothes than I did, but yet again, another case of bad luck.

August 24th: Homework cram

I've dealt with a lot of homework from high school, but a whole nine-hour art module due on Friday? Let's just say that my head was spinning like Van Gogh's "Starry Starry Night".

giphy- van gogh

August 26th: Early morning SOS

My body is still on California time, which is an hour earlier than Idaho time, so 1 a.m. to me still feels like 12 a.m. But not when your roommate, who's at a party, texts you that her room keys are in the room of a girl who just got busted by the cops. On top of that, she needed to get into the room later that morning, it's not fun. Especially when she asks if you can just leave the empty dorm unlocked right as you're about to go float the river.

Stress eating breakfast was not an option since the cafe was closed, so a Starbucks scone was my energy until I got out of the freezing cold river with a wet iPhone and soaked shoes.

Instagram- first week float

The moral of the story? My first week of college sucked, and yet I am still excited to see what it throws at me next. Just don't expect to see any of it on my Instagram since my phone is broken.

So don't let a rough week dull your outlook on the rest of an experience, because it will always get better and you can always get cookies delivered to you.

chips cookies