Common College Pet Peeves

Common College Pet Peeves

Shower Shoes... they just feel so wrong

34
Common College Pet Peeves
Google Images

Allow me to start off by saying that I love Wake Forest and I consider myself so luck to go to such an amazing school. I love the teachers, the student body, the people who work here and especially the academics. I really could not be luckier- I go to an amazing school and I know that this is the best preparation I could get for the real world. Just walking the quad in front of the beautiful Wait Chapel makes me smile with gratitude. With that being said, of course nothing is perfect and I have a few little pet peeves with the school:

Shower Shoes... They just feel so wrong.

When I go to the shower, I'm trying to feel clean and warm and happy. It's a time to reflect on my day and what I need to do after the shower. It's like this time of limbo where you can breathe in the steamy warmth and breathe out the frustrations of the busy day. Wearing shoes in the shower just ruins that peacefulness I'm trying to create. Plus, how am I supposed to wash my feet? Because taking the shoe off and trying to balance on one foot is getting really old really fast. Wearing shoes in the shower is better than athlete's foot I guess.

Speaking of showers, how about those communal bathrooms?

I mean, communal bathrooms are good idea from a university perspective, but when you're sick or in the shower they're the worst. When you're sick, throwing up or, you know, sick from the other end, it's so awkward sitting on the toilet beside someone else with just a little plastic divider between you. But I have to say the worst thing ever about communal bathrooms is when you are in the shower next to the bathroom stalls and someone decides to take a poop. I mean, come on. I'm in here trying to make myself smell nice and all the sudden my shower smells. Please. Use some Poo-pourri.

Off Campus Dining- Why can't everyone accept food dollars?

Are these restaurants trying to rob us college kids blind? There are only so many tables we can wait over the three months of summer and even then the money we make just might not be enough to support our off campus binge eating habits. On campus food at Wake is pretty good- we have the Pit which is our cafeteria, then we have Benson which is a building home to the Big Three of on-campus dining. There is Chik-Fil-A, which is always a good idea, Moe's and if you're looking to dine-in, you have the option of Shorty's. Then we have a Subway and a Zick's Pizza. They're really great, but even after just being a Deac for a year now, the options are getting old. So I find myself at Chipotle paying $11.00 for a steak burrito with guac and then going next door to Cold Stone paying $4.00 for a Birthday Cake Remix in a "Like It".

These fluorescent lights in our rooms is a violation of our Eighth Amendment Rights.

These fluorescent lights that are in all of our dorms are killing my eyes. Every time they flicker on and that faint buzz is emanating from the bulbs, I feel like someone who smells like pipe smoke wearing a suit and a fedora that matches his tie should be asking me "Where were you on the night of..." These lights are so abrasive they give me migraines that makes me want to stay in bed all day- which sounds pretty counter-productive to me because being at a top 30 school and staying in bed all day is synonymous to falling behind. Lately, I've been sitting in my room with the blinds up trying to get some more natural light because I'm too cheap to go to target and spend $15 on those nice looking lights. Fifteen dollars is just enough for a burrito and a "Like It" which sounds much better than string lights.

Lastly, parking is a problem on campus- especially if you're a freshman or sophomore.

First of all, these parking cops are a little extra. After 5PM on a Friday, you're allowed to park on campus for the weekend but let me tell you, if you try to park at 4:54 PM on a Friday you will get a $25 ticket. If you've been ticketed before for the same offense, the fine is more. Don't dare park in a handicap even if it's with your hazards on just running in for a minute to grab something you forgot. And don't even think about parking in the President's spot. You may think because it's empty and late at night that he's gone home, but these traffic cops are trying to make sure he's able to come back to campus whenever he feels like it. But really, the martyrs of the driving student population are the freshman. They have to park their cars off campus and take a shuttle just to get to their cars. And to get a parking spot in the freshman lot costs money. So you pay money to get a spot in the only parking lot that freshman are allowed to park in then you walk across campus to the shuttle station, catch the shuttle, take a 10 minute drive to the parking lot to get your car, then drive ten more minutes to park your car somewhere on campus after 5PM on a Friday. Sophomores have it a little better because you don't have to take a shuttle to the off-campus parking lot where you paid for a parking place. But you do have to cross the street and although there is a sidewalk on either side of this busy street, there is no sidewalk, so you have choices- wait fifteen minutes for the cars to stop or take your chances with a car twenty five yards away. May the odds be ever in your favor.