I Choose To Remain Close To My Parents While Away At College

No, it does not make me any less "cool."

1172
Becky Sebring

My parents have always been my people. The ones who I turn to with everything, no matter what it is. But that does not make me a "loser" or "not cool." I am lucky enough to have parents who support me and love me, so why should I not let them do so?

My parents have been my rock, ever since I was a kid.

Coming home from elementary school with a scraped knee, or high school with a bad grade, they never failed to help me get back on my feet. They were there, quite frankly, through the best of times, and the worst of times.

In college, there seems to be this sort of assumption that we should grow away from our parents and loved ones back home. But honestly, that is a terrible idea.

I'm not saying that I completely live off my parents, but what I'm saying is that they are the best support system anyone could ask for. Social trouble, academic struggle, they always know what to say to help me out.

Yes, I talk to my parents every day. I call them just to talk. I text them about funny things that happen, text them when I'm having a bad day, or if I need help knowing what I can put in the laundry with what. Or what to do when I turn a white shirt to pink.

It does not make me any less cool, it does not make me lame, and does not make me a wimp. It just makes me have a trusting support system, and why would I throw that away to live "the college life?"

My parents are no doubt some of my best friends. I trust them with anything and everything, and I wouldn't want it any other way.