Your College Experience Should Be More Than Chasing A High GPA

Professional experience outweighs your college grades.

498
Michaela Bull

We have all had that moment, whether it be during finals week or a never-ending group project, where we think to ourselves: do I really need this degree? Is the stress of maintaining a perfect GPA really worth one piece of paper?

Spoiler alert: it isn’t if your GPA is your only priority in college.

Keeping up with your classes and doing well on your exams is important, don’t get me wrong. But your energy is better off being served by gaining experience in your desired field, on-campus and off.

College degrees are becoming more and more common as the years go by. People are earning more money and finding more resources that can help you pay for your tuition.

So now that having a college degree is becoming the norm, how can you stand out from other candidates in your job search?

Your future employer will be more interested in the experience and skills you’ll be bringing to the company.

Your degree will be much more worth your money if you take advantage of everything else that college has to offer. Your university is full of opportunities to further your experience and help you reach your goals of getting that job you’ve always wanted.

Your university probably has a trillion clubs and organizations. These aren’t going to be like the ones in high school where you had a pizza party every Wednesday after school.

There’s going to be some that bring in industry professionals that will have a vast amount of knowledge (and maybe even internship opportunities!) to share with you. They’ll have volunteer opportunities and scholarship awards.

Internships are your best bet to really learning all there is to know about your desired field. You’ll get hands-on experience and witness first-hand what job positions interest you, and which positions don’t interest you (narrowing down is always helpful, too!).

These opportunities will set you apart from other candidates when you’re interviewing for a position.

You’ll have something to talk about at your interview like your trip to Hong Kong to learn international shipping policies or what an amazing learning experience it was to intern at your city’s top finance company.

Doing these things will not only get you your dream job, but you’ll be making a ton of memories, friends and so much more. Don’t miss out on everything that your school has to offer because your term paper isn’t perfect.

You’ll enjoy your time at college so much more when it’s worthwhile in the end, and you won’t have to stress about finding a job.