College As Told By 'How I Met Your Mother'

"How I Met Your Mother" may not have been the most morally sound show on television, but it did teach its viewers some very important lessons that college kids especially can benefit from.

1. Cut toxic people out of your life

Even though the core group stays the same, we see many other characters come and go throughout the series. One of the most important things people must learn is how to filter out people who are unsupportive of them, as seen above.

2. Self-love

Even though Barney shows an excessive amount of self-love on the show, everyone needs to take some time to appreciate their own personalities and traits in order to be a happy, healthy human being.

3. Everyone freaks out from time to time

Sometimes it feels like things just can't go right and you act out. This is especially common in college where everything you do feels like it's the most important thing ever.

4. Test your limits

Barney is well known for uttering these famous words in nearly every episode, but it is true, sometimes you do need to branch out and accept life's challenges, much like what Barney encourages Ted to do, even though some of those challenges aren't the best.

5. Dress to impress

Part of "The Bro Code" is to suit up which is good advice for college kids when all you really want is to wear your pajamas. However, college is not just for classes, it is also for networking and finding people who will eventually hire you, so suit up—not just to look cool.

6. Work hard, play hard

No matter what kind of shenanigans the gang got into, they always took care of their responsibilities but also weren't afraid to celebrate at the local pub or in their apartments.

7. You're not meant to have your entire life planned out yet

So many things can happen unexpectedly, you really can't know for sure what your life will be like in five, 10, or 15 years, let alone your entire life; so relax and make sure you keep learning along the way.