6 Things College Kids Who Don't Drink Are Tired Of Hearing

Trust me, I have plenty of fun without being under the influence.

545
Her Campus

It's no secret that most college and even high school students drink. Between Snapchat stories, Instagram photos with smiley face emojis over beer cans and the bragging of the crazy weekend everyone had, the party scene and drinking is "normal" and perhaps even expected. Some will deny their drinking and partying but many won't. For me, I've never seen the novelty in it. I'm a college student that doesn't drink or party and quite frankly I'm sick of everyone assuming I do and constantly hearing these six things from people.

1. It's my birthday next weekend! "Don't get too crazy!"

Each year when my birthday rolls around, people seem to assume I'll be going out and getting drunk with my friends. I mention my birthday is coming up and they'll ask about my plans and tell me to prepare for a wicked hangover or something like that. Well no. I'm not 21. I'm going out but not to drink. I will have so much fun but alcohol won't be involved. Heck, even when my 21st rolls around, I won't need to prepare for that birthday hangover. Sure, I'll probably go out with some friends and drink that night, but I will not be getting belligerently drunk. No thanks.

2. "Don't you have a fake?"

Uh no, no I don't. I don't have a need for one and no I don't need you to get me one. I don't have someone that buys for me. I don't order drinks when I'm out hoping they won't ID me. I don't have one, don't need one.

3. My family is having a party this weekend. "That's so fun, you're gonna get hella drunk."

Yeah, probably not. For me, family parties are crazy fun but without the alcohol. I don't need to alcohol to handle annoying relatives. I don't need to alcohol to have a good time. I don't need alcohol to pass the time. Our family parties are simply all of us enjoying our time together.

4. I'm going to visit my friend at college this weekend. "Add me on Snapchat, I want to see!"

I mean yeah, I'll add you, but don't expect drunken selfies or a stupid Snapchat story. I'm going to visit my friend's college but we're not going out to party. I'm going to meet their friends, visit their new favorite coffee shop, explore their new town, see the campus and enjoy quality time with each other. Drinking will not be on the agenda.

5. My friends and I had so much fun this weekend! "Where did you guys go out?"

We went out to dinner, the movies, shopping, everyone just came back to my house/dorm and we talked for a while, played some games and no alcohol was involved. Seems crazy, right? For my friends and I, it's normal. We hang out and have fun without the drinks. My mom always said she didn't understand why once kids get to a certain age, they need alcohol to have fun with their friends. Well, me either. I have the best friends and the best fun without being under the influence.

6. I don't drink. "Oh really? Why?"

It's quite simple. I don't drink and I don't really owe you or anyone else and explanation. Understand that I'm not judging you for your choice to drink, really I'm not, but I just choose not to.

I'll happily stick to the water, coffee and having fun without the alcohol.