College Is Totally Better Than High School

Just a short list of the many reasons.

31
Tumblr

Graduating from high school was one of the best times of my life thus far. Everything was new and exciting, but also frightening. I had committed to a school where I knew no one. My friends would be scattered across Pennsylvania and even New York. My family would be an hour away. l would be dropped into a new community to fend entirely for myself. This terrified me. For a while, I hated this new place I was supposed to be having the best years of my life at. I longed for the simplicity of high school where I would get to see my family and friends everyday. After a few months of this feeling of not belonging, I slowly made closer friendships and got involved on campus more. I began to feel at home in my dorm room and make friends with the lunch ladies in the dining halls. Day after day it got better and I would never trade up college for high school.

1. Freedom.

You're finally all on your own. The sky is the limit. You want to eat a whole jar of Nutella at 3am? Go for it! No one is going to stop you. You are finally able to come and go as you please with no parents giving you a curfew. Some students abuse this freedom but as long as you are somewhat smart about it, this is one of the greatest things about going away to school.

2. Late Night

Many colleges offer late night dining hours that are basically a gift from God. Nothing is better than stumbling upon the food truck at 1am on your way back to your dorm.

3. Your friends are just down the hall.

Whenever you're bored or just want to procrastinate a little longer, you can always count on your friends down the hall to help you out. People your age are always around and always down to have some fun. One of the greatest things you can experience is being around so many similar aged individuals. You can stay up every night doing endless stuff with friends in your hall.

4. No one knows you or your story.

Where I went to high school, everyone knew each other's names and a lot about everyone because we had all grown up together. At college, your class size can range from hundreds of students to thousands. It's the perfect time for a fresh start where no one knows anything about you.

5. You're challenged more.

This can be good to an extent, although I'm sure some disagree. High school, for the most part, is pretty simple to pass through, not requiring much work or attention. Once you hit college though, it is nearly impossible to make it through without doing at least a decent amount of work. I've spent nine straight hours in the library studying on two different occasions. The work you have to keep up with in college is no joke, but nothing good in life comes easy.

6. There's a sense of community among all students.

We are all broke and hungry and in desperate need of a nap.

7. Meeting lots of new people daily.

I've met such a broad range of people in college that I would have never gotten to experience if I would've stayed back in my small, rural town. Meeting new people and hearing their stories has always been fascinating to me. In college, there's thousands of people from all different places with each of their own experiences and opinions. There's always someone new to talk to.

8. Experiencing the typical college parties.

The creepy frat house, the crammed dorm room, the sports' houses, etc. etc. etc.

9. Self Expression.

In college, there are endless clubs and organizations that will fit almost any interest. There are intramural sports that you can play even if you are athletically inept. There are Quiddich clubs, photography clubs, fashion clubs, political clubs and even zombie apocalypse clubs. The possibilities are endless. You are free to be yourself at university and, chances are, you will meet a lot of people with the same interests as you.

10. Independence.

It's such an amazing feeling to be out in the world on your own and to be okay with it. Getting an A on an exam because of all the hard work you put into it or landing the internship you've always wanted are such rewarding experiences. Adulthood is incredibly horrifying, but to know that you are taking baby steps in the right direction is a strangely satisfying feeling.