5 Ways 'Glee' Perfectly Describes Getting Ready For Your First Year Of College

Everyone's favorite musical TV show describing feelings everyone has.

10
pictify

In the next couple of days and weeks, I and many of my friends will be leaving the comfort of our childhood homes and headed off into the big world of college. Getting ready to go to college has been one of the most frightening yet thrilling times of my life. The rollercoaster of emotions has been something I've needed to share and hopefully, something someone else can relate to.

1. Excitement

Getting into and choosing a college comes with the most incredible initial feeling of excitement. The feeling of being able to begin your future is a feeling like no other. All of the applications are over, the essays are done, and now it's all you. Stepping forward into a future that's all about you and what you want to do without any fake friends, mean girls, or high school boys in the way of anything. That feeling is better than no other.

2. Initial Nerves

The initial nerves come when you start thinking about all of the little things that come with college. "Will my roommate be weird?" "Do I go random?" "What dorm do I stay in?" "What do I bring?" These questions for many of us are still unanswered. As we are packing, we still wonder what to bring. As we chat with our newly found roommates, we still wonder if they're weird or if they're really going to be right for us. There's no way all of these questions are going to be answered. so you just kind of sit there and think and freak yourself out.

3. Annoyed

With getting ready for college comes questions from relatives, random people at school, and adults that are friends with your parents. "What are you majoring in?" "Are you happy with your school?" "Is it your first choice?" "Are you sure you want to be that far away from home?" All of these questions from everyone around you can just make you so annoyed. You don't want to hear it and never did want to hear it. Your answers eventually all become one-worded, your eye rolls occur more frequently, yet these questions that cause all of the annoyed feelings all remain the same.

4. Sadness

This sadness comes as college gets closer, it comes from saying goodbye to your friends. The goodbyes are hug and tear-filled and you have no idea what you're going to do without any of the people you've come to know so well. You get sad thinking about the fact that your new friends are going to be nothing like your friends from home. You cry at dinners with your pals, days with your family, and nights alone in your room as you exchange heart felt texts with the friends you can't see before you're gone.

5. Relaxation

Then, your move in day gets even closer. You realize everything you have felt was all in good reason, yet a little overdramatic. You're ready for this and you know you are! The universe is in your favor and if it weren't time for you to move on yet, you wouldn't be doing so. It's okay to feel excited, nervous, annoyed and sad, but it is also okay to feel relaxed and know that you're moving on to a big part in your life, a part you deserve.