5 Tips To Help You To Not Only Survive Your Freshman Year, But Actually Enjoy It

The first year of college can be a really weird, confusing time.

129
Instagram

Time is a weird concept. Things can feel like they happened 7 years ago and yesterday at the same exact time. As I come to the end of my freshman year, I can't believe it's almost over. Needless to say, I'm feeling really nostalgic about my first year of college. I've made amazing friends, learned so much, and I feel like I've really grown into myself this year. As an ode to making it through an amazing first year of adulthood and change, I'm going to give all incoming freshman 5 tips to making your first year the best it can be.

1. Try new things.

Freshman year is an amazing time to go out of your comfort zone and try new things. Whether it be a club you wouldn't usually join or a class you might not picture yourself taking, you can learn so much from trying new things! This year, I took a leap and joined a choir, and it has honestly been one of the most fun things I did all year! You can't truly find yourself by staying in your comfort zone!

2. Focus on your school work.

College is about fun, but you're also there to get a degree! You can still have fun and be successful! My biggest tip is allotting time during the week dedicated to getting your work done. You'll procrastinate and struggle in the beginning, but finding a study schedule that works for you is essential!

3. Call home.

Independence is an amazing feeling. For a lot of people, college is the first time away from home. At first, it's really mindblowing. You can go anywhere you want and do whatever you want. But, your family is still an important part of your life. Call home and update them, tell them you love them, and let them know you miss them. Trust me, you will miss them.

4. Make your own choices.

Similar to what I said before when you're in college you have to make a lot of decisions. From deciding whether to go out, to decide what to eat for lunch, everything is up to you. With that being said, make sure you're making the decisions you want to make. Don't let people dictate your college experience for you. It's great to do things with your friends, but make sure they're things you want to do.

5. Have fun.

This is my most important piece of advice. Have fun. College is a once in a lifetime experience. However you define having fun, do it. You are young and the world is yours, and for these short four years of your life you should work really hard and live it up. Soon, we'll be working 9-5 jobs, going to sleep at 10 pm every night. Until then, stay up late, go to parties, watch movies with your friends, kiss lots of people, and do things that make you genuinely happy.

As someone who's experienced it, freshman year is so special. I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope you remember these tips as you enter your first year.

I am so grateful for everything. Thank you to my amazing friends who made this year incredible (even when things sucked). Thank you to Elon for being the most amazing university. And I'm not sure who to thank (maybe fate?) for placing me here at this exact time to meet the most amazing people and have a truly amazing year. I am forever changed in the best ways.