5 Tips For Navigating Your Freshman Year At EMU

A guide for freshman attending Eastern Michigan University to having a successful first semester.

12

The first semester of college can really be hectic and scary for any incoming freshman. Too many times I hear of terrible first semester experiences. So I rounded up a list of tips to ensure a great first semester. While this is directed towards Eastern Michigans freshman class, many of these tips can be beneficial to any college freshman.

​1. Have a weekly planner!

Many freshmen make the mistake of thinking they have exceptional memory when really it's more compared to that of a goldfish. Trust me, that mandatory text your HIST 222 professor just gave you will be forgotten by lunchtime. With a weekly planner, you can plan your entire week beforehand and add on as it goes. The key to doing this best is being as specific as possible. Plan out your week by the hour. Have a class at 10 AM, write to wake up at least an hour beforehand to go eat breakfast and hygiene. Heard about a cool event you're super interested in, add it to your schedule as long as it does not interfere with any study or class time. Last note, if you do happen to forget your planner to class. The notes app on your phone is always a quick alternative.

2. Make use of office hours and tutoring centers.

Confused about an equation from your calculus class, go to office hours. Have a great idea for an essay and want to run it by your professor, go to office hours. Got a stomach ache and unexpected explosive diarrhea, probably should go to a clinic. I cannot stress enough how beneficial going to your professor's office hours can be. Not only can you get most of your questions answered, but you can also start to build a professional relationship with your professor. This alone will put you a step ahead of your classmates who simply decide to attend class only. The second best thing next to office hours are tutoring centers, the majority of colleges have them. Got an essay you want spell checked, you can head on over to the writing center at Halle. Got another equation you can't solve and your professor isn't available, go to the math center over at Pray-Harrold on the fourth floor. I personally have used both and my life was made that much easier because of them. However, do not expect to get your essay put together before its 12 a.m. deadline. You should've have figured that out from tip one.

3. Don't be afraid to get out there and be social.

In college, you have the opportunity to meet make friendships and connections that'll last you a lifetime. Heck, you might even find your life partner in that chemistry you really didn't want to take. However, you make the most out of your college experience. So don't expect to meet anyone by going straight to your dorm room right after your classes. Doing this will make you lose out on all the opportunities and memories that going to college has to offer. A great way to meet new people is by joining a club on campus or going to events on campus. Look for flyers posted on bulletin boards in your dorm or the student center. Universities will also usually have an event in the first week of the semester allowing students to view and talk to different organizations and clubs on campus. Here at Eastern, it's known as Eaglefest.

4. Always keep your health in check.

No doubt, every student has experienced a moment where they question really why they're here in the first place. College will put you through some of the most stressful experiences in your life and how you deal with them will decide either a very positive or negative outcome. Never think you're alone, sometimes all you might need is to make a call home and talk to your parents. Continually keeping your mental and physical health always in check will ensure you don't fall into the freshman slump. In regards to physical health, always try to go for healthier dining options. Yes, that cheese pizza may be calling your name, but the fruit bar will give that extra energy needed to get through the rest of the day. Don't be afraid to go to the Rec/IM and for fear of embarrassment while working out. Most be very friendly and will even sometimes give you tips to better your form while exercising. Go with a friend too and build those glutes you always wanted.

5. Deal with campus wildlife. 

Now the last tip I give but certainly not far from the least important is, DO NOT MESS WITH THE WILDLIFE!!! While the campus squirrels may look pretty friendly you really have no idea what kind of diseases they may have caught rummaging through the campus garbage cans. I am also a firm believer in the conspiracy that the geese are slowly building up their numbers so one day they will take complete control of the campus. In reality, this is their turf, they just allow us to go to school here.