To the Upcoming College Freshman, Don't Let Summer Orientation Freak You Out

Moving to college isn't as scary as you'd think.

502
Katelyn McKinney

I always told anyone who asked me that I was ready for college. But I wasn't.

In all honesty, I was terrified. The thought of leaving my family made me sick to my stomach. How was I supposed to leave my mom? My dad? My siblings? My whole life revolved around my family. We did everything together, and they were always there for me when something went wrong. The fact that I was going to be hours away from them freaked me out. It really did.

At the same time though, I was ready to leave high school. I was sick of the seven straight hours of learning, tired of all of the pointless drama, and ready to experience things on my own. So in a way, you could say that I was ready for college.

At least I thought I was until I experienced summer orientation.

Summer orientation started out normal, but by the end of the first day, I was calling my mom explaining how I thought I picked the wrong school. I was overwhelmed with the idea of college, and something did not feel right. The rest of the summer leading up to the first day of college was consumed by all of my worries. What if I hate it? What if I chose the wrong major? And one thought consumed me most: What if I don't make any friends?

Once I actually went to college, I realized I was going to be alright.

If you are worried about leaving your family like I was, I can reassure you that they will always be there. Thanks to technology, your mom and dad are just a phone call or text away.

And if you get really homesick, it is okay to go home. There is no rule saying once you leave you can't go back. I have gone home multiple times since coming to college.

And whoever told you that high school is supposed to be the best four years of your life did not go to college. I can promise you that there are better things out there than cafeteria food and pep assemblies. There are also so many people here that you do not have to worry about what other people think of you. Just do you; that's what everyone else is doing.

Oh, and the fact that you only have an average of two to three classes a day is the BEST.

So guys, don't be sad to leave high school. Life goes on.

If your summer orientation does not go well, like mine, IT IS OK. My summer orientation was probably the worst representation of how my freshman year of college has gone. Do NOT let summer orientation sway you from going to the college you have fallen in love with. I love the school I am at and would not trade it for the world.

Also, if you are worried that you are going to hate it, chose the wrong major, and might not make friends, here is some advice. If you absolutely hate it, you can transfer. People do it all the time, and it is not the end of the world. If you chose the wrong major, switch it to something you love and have a passion for. If you have to stay an extra semester or year, isn't it worth it to do something you love? And you honestly might not even fall behind after switching.

As for having friends, I guarantee you will find your people. One of the best things about college and especially freshman year is that everyone wants to be friends. People are so open to talking and to meeting new people that it makes it so much easier than what you would think.

So friends, although college seems terrifying, it may just be the best thing that ever happens to you.