7 Food Staples Every College Student Depends On Just To Function 7 Days A Week

Don't go through your day on an empty stomach.

399

As a college student, it feels like you're always on the go. Between classes, activities, meetings, and maintaining a social life, there are days you feel like you barely have time to breathe. You might not always have time to sit down for a meal at the dining hall. However, this doesn't mean that you should spend your day with a growling stomach.

Here is a list of food staples every college student should have on deck for easy meals or snacks.

Granola/Energy Bars

Energy bars are an ideal snack to grab from your dorm on your way to class. If you REALLY don't have time to go to the cafeteria in the morning, having a box of Nutri Grain bars in your room will be a life saver.

Pop-Tarts

Having a box of Pop-Tarts serves the same benefits as having energy bars. The wide variety of Pop-Tart flavors will never disappoint. You just have to be open to trying something new!

Coffee/Tea

This might not apply to everyone, but plenty college students enjoy having a caffeinated beverage in the morning to start their day. If you are this person, it might be worth investing in a Keurig machine and pods. Most dorms only allow single-cup coffee makers, and the different flavors of coffee you can get is a nice alternative to the cafeteria coffee.

Ramen/Microwaveable Foods

Most students try to eat healthy in college. However, there are days when you really want to keep things simple. As a college student, it's worth buying a few microwaveable meals before the start of the semester. The possibilities are endless: Ramen, Mac & Cheese, Hot Pockets... you get the picture.

These are also ideal for nights that you can't make it to the dining hall before it closes. Furthermore, if the weather at your school is as temperamental as it is at URI, these will be perfect. Think about it: do you really want to walk across campus in a downpour for a meal? I thought not.

Note: buying some of these items in bulk can often save you money. I recommend looking on Amazon for bulk orders of Ramen if you can't get to the store.

Salty Snacks

Salty snack lovers unite! Most drugstores and convenience stores on college campuses have chips, pretzels, or popcorn at decent prices. Buying some chips and dip are great for weekend friend hangouts.

Candy/Treats

Just picture the scenario: It's the middle of the semester. You're exhausted, you're doing your best, and you decide it's time to treat yourself. Go for it and get yourself a candy bar! What are you waiting for? Everybody likes sugar. Having a secret stash of chocolate bars to enjoy sparingly won't hurt anyone.

Gum/Mints

There are actually two reasons why having a pack of gum or mints is a good idea.

1. Everyone has the off morning where they wake up late. You're rushing out the door, and you don't have time to brush your teeth. Having gum will freshen your breath for the time being, and it becomes one less thing that you have to worry about.

2. After you've eaten a meal, be considerate if you've had something with a notorious odor. Not everybody likes the smell of coffee. The same goes for onions or garlic. Spearmint-flavored anything will help you out here. Trust me, your friends and classmates will thank you.