10 Fall Break Activities Every College Student Should Do

You don't have to spend tons of money traveling to a new city to get away for fall break. Enjoy these cheap and fun activities with your friends and have a great time!

567
https://www.kaboompics.com/photo/13569/a-young-girl-holds-a-pumpkin-in-her-hand

For some schools and universities, fall break may have already past. My university, however, has moved fall break to the very end of October just a few weeks before Thanksgiving. While this break is nice, having only two days off from classes is rough on some students when trying to make plans to see family and friends. I have already planned a trip to go to Nashville, but others may have to stay on-campus for the break. Here are some simple and cheap activities to fill your time if you are staying in town for fall break!

Have a fall photoshoot

This one is real simple and can be done for free! Gather your friends and dress up in sweaters, flannels and boots to have a fun fall photoshoot. I always like bringing blankets to sit on to add a pop of color. Some people enjoy photoshoots at a pumpkin patch, in a forest area or in a cotton field. Outdoor photoshoots are super fun, and you'll have tons of pictures to share on Instagram to show your friends and family.

Halloween movie marathon

With the busyness of the school year, it is hard to find time to relax and watch a good movie. Halloween is right around the corner, and there are a multitude of options to choose from. Whether you like horror films or light-hearted Halloween movies, everyone can find at least one movie they make like to watch. My personal favorites are Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown. You can never go wrong with the classics!

Visit a pumpkin patch

Visiting a pumpkin patch and supporting local farmers is a great way to spend your fall break. Many pumpkin patches will even offer hayrides, free apple cider, and the opportunity for you to choose any pumpkin you like. This activity is fun to plan out with friends or family for a day trip. After you're finished, you have a brand new pumpkin to take home and decorate for the holidays!

Paint or carve a pumpkin

The options are endless when it comes to decorating your pumpkin for Halloween. While some may choose a design to print out and carve onto their pumpkin, I like to use acrylic paints and decorate my pumpkin that way. Something about pulling out the "guts" of the pumpkin is unappealing to me. Plus, painted pumpkins last longer! No matter what you choose to do, try inviting guests over for a pumpkin carving or painting party to make it a fun, interactive activity.

Buy candy

If all else fails and all of your friends or family are out of town, go to a local grocery store and buy Halloween candy. Reese's pumpkins, Snickers, Hershey's, Skittles, caramel apples, the possibilities are endless! You deserve a sweet treat after studying so hard the past couple of weeks.

Bake a pie or sweet treat

If you're looking to indulge in something sweet and want to put a little more effort into cooking or baking, look up some cool recipes on Pinterest. I love making popcorn mixes, candied apples and pumpkin pie. Some recipes take very few ingredients and can be made in less than 20 minutes. Feel free to make an extra batch to share with your roommates or other people in the community.

Go for a hike

Early morning hikes in the fall are my absolute favorite. With the crisp morning air and light breeze, you can usually find me hiking in the woods on the weekends to get away from the stress of school. Going on a quick hike can get your blood flowing and give you the chance to see some amazing scenery in nature.

Get crafty

Fall crafts don't have to be just for elementary school. You can be crafty anytime! Stop by your local Michael's or Hobby Lobby and you can find some cheap seasonal supplies to spruce up your home decor. I love handmade wreaths, and so I'll often stop by the floral section to pick up some sunflowers or cotton to make my own. This is a fun way to put your own touch into your own unique project.

Make time for yourself

Take some time for yourself this fall break to just relax. Going on a trip is fun, but it is not necessary. Use this time for self-care. Whether it be reading a book, taking a bath, enjoying some retail therapy or sleeping in for a few days, this time is for you to recuperate. There is only a few weeks left until Thanksgiving, and finals are right around the corner!

Spend time with family or friends

My favorite activity over fall break is just being able to spend time with family and friends. I enjoy community with other people and this is a way for me to be able to recharge after a long and stressful few weeks of being busy at school. This fall break I will be unable to see my family, but I will be networking with some peers in Nashville while making new friends.

Happy Fall Break! I hope one of these activities catches your interest, and don't forget to make time for yourself as well.