I'm A College Dropout So What Does That Say About Me?

It is my emotional intelligence. EQ is never really looked at in the school system but I believe my emotional intelligence has paved my path and is my big HOW.

311
kingstonphoto

I am a college drop out. So what does that say about me? Does that mean I am a failure?

I often think about how I got here. How the hell did I manage to move out to California? How am I social media manager at a big company? How do I have a career without graduating college? The reason why I think about this so much is because I haven’t been able to verbalize my how until now. My accomplishments weren’t achieved because I went to school they were achieved because of me. The strategy for my success is much bigger than just going to school, getting good grades, making connections and doing all the right things, in the tradition sense. It is my emotional intelligence. EQ is never really looked at in the school system but I believe my emotional intelligence has paved my path and is my big HOW.

It is easy to let myself get carried away on the subject of dropping out of college. When you hear that someone dropped out of college, the connotation is incredibly negative and was hurtful to me and my vision. I felt if I couldn’t thrive in a school setting then I can’t really thrive in life. But this whole school system is not catered for everyone. They say school isn’t for everyone but it simply is not made for everyone. Yes, we have special classes for disabilities and resources to help these students but does that make it equal? Is it right to say since you learn differently, we will label you as a student with a disorder? We are all different, that is a fact. So, if we all different then I can assume we all learn differently but the school system doesn’t view learning differently as a fact they view it as having a “disorder”.

The school system is obviously beneficial for a lot of people. For some people school is the only way to express themselves and assist them in becoming doctors, lawyers, bankers etc. But I want to argue that we can express ourselves in a multitude of ways. The school system should be the first to teach all different types of lifestyles whether that includes college or not. I feel that the world is paying (literally) into this idea of needing college to be even somewhat successful but maybe that’s not true. The schools provide an excluded way of learning by depending on only IQ to construct success. How do they expect everyone to be responsive to one out of many approaches to teaching?

I am a college drop out. So what does that say about me?