8 Reasons Traditional Dorming Doesn't Live Up To The Stereotype

First semester had a lot of screw-ups, but traditional dorming wasn't one.

258

Everyone has heard the horror stories of traditional dorming. Small rooms, communal bathrooms, crazy hall mates, and the list goes on and on. Some of these things are true, but I would rather live in traditional over affiliated any day.

1. My closet grew, and grew, and grew!

All of the girls in my hall are so friendly to each other, and we would do anything for each other. If we need to borrow shoes, pants, a shirt, or any kind of accessory I have countless options I can use.

2. Brushing your teeth is never lonely.

Whenever you go into the bathroom it can either be a 5-minute thing or a 20-minute thing. Catching up on how they're doing, complaining about classes, or just swapping the latest gossip are all things expected when you go to the bathroom.

3. You constantly have a hype squad. 

I know if I ever need a second opinion on an outfit I know I can just walk down the hall, and get numerous opinions. The support of all these girls, and few guys, can make anyone feel like a queen.

4. The price difference made it even more appealing.

The most obvious reason for why one would choose traditional is the price difference. There is over a 5,000 dollar difference in affiliated and traditional. Many people have told me they wished they did traditional, because even if their own bathroom is nice, they don't talk to anyone on their floor.

5. The Open Door Policy is highly encouraged!

Everyone in my hall constantly has their door open, and if not they still don't mind the visitors. Traditional is far more social, and overall made my first semester more enjoyable. The unsaid pact of having everyone's back is acknowledged throughout the hall.

6. The smaller rooms create a more homey feel.

My roommate and I overall have a great ambiance in our room. We have dubbed ourselves the "moms" of our hall, since whenever anyone has a problem they come to our room. We have warm lighting from string lights, and when we have a group of people over we all get very cozy.

7. Getting to shower with your roomie is the perfect way to unwind. 

While we don't shower in the same stall obviously, getting to shower in the same room just calls for badly singing old Disney songs. Getting to spill gossip, talk about our days, and what the plans for tomorrow, make showering in communal showers far better.

8. I have made brand new friends, I otherwise wouldn't have. 

The majority of my friends on my floor aren't in my major, so if I didn't live with them I would not have met them. They are some of the funniest, caring, and wholesome people I've met in college, and I cannot wait to take on second semester with them.