Lori Loughlin Cheating Scandal

The Only Surprising Thing About The Recent College Cheating Scandal Is That People Actually Care Now

I seriously wonder why everyone is making such a fuss when it has probably been going on for years.

59

Why does it seem that every year has a crazy college admissions story? Last year was when the federal lawsuit against Harvard was launched due to alleged discrimination of Asian-American students, and the year before that had 10 students' admissions to the same institution revoked due to extremely offensive memes. Well, this year has the public in outrage that wealthy families are bribing college admissions coaches, standardized test proctors, and ringers for their children to secure seats in prestigious universities. The good news is that justice is finally being served, but the bad news is that it is only being served now.

Coming from a competitive high school myself, where senior students are hellbent on securing admission to Ivy League and comparable institutions, it really should not be surprising that people are cheating their way to get into top private institutions. Most people in my school would do nearly anything to have an Ivy League name on their resume, and if they're so hellbent when 40% of them qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, imagine what people of a higher socioeconomic standing would think.

This issue really only pertains with private institutions, as they are not supported by the state they are in and depend on tuition and endowments to remain in operation. And considering that most of the top 20 schools in the United States are private, it would make sense that private schools are the most susceptible to this scam.

In my opinion, the problem with college admissions in private schools is that legacy and wealth tend to get students in; merit alone does not guarantee successful outcomes. Although many private schools do offer need-blind based admission, I doubt that is truly what happens on the other side of the screen. As they depend on an influx of money to keep running, it makes sense that they would be attracted to students they know can pay most of the bill, and many of them even accept bribes. After all, that's how Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, allegedly got into Harvard, as his own teachers said that with his level of merit that would be very unlikely, if not impossible.

If a back door can be created into college admissions and guarantee admission for the top 1% of the socioeconomic spectrum, then it only ensures that the family's legacy is continued. However, this is a myth. Prestige in terms of the college's name rarely matters for most professions, and instead relies on the grit of the person. At most, one degree might confer a slight pay raise over a degree from another university for the same profession.

But this scheme has always been there, and everyone knew about it. Everyone knows that college admissions can be utter bullshit at times, but why haven't they spoken against it until now? Maybe suing the university might not be practical or feasible. Maybe there are just not enough people in support of the wronged. But maybe now people can band together and inspire future change, like the Asian-Americans who are suing Harvard. I really do wish people spoke against this blatant disregard for the bottom 99% earlier, but at least justice is going to be served.