From The Girl Who Learned College Can Be An Adventure

It Depends What You Take Away From It

13
Google

College can be an exciting chapter in your life. It depends on how you perceive things. I'm a sophomore/junior in college, according to credits. I'm sure there are more things about college that will help me grow as a person but here are some of a few things I've learned so far, especially about myself.

College is all about learning more about yourself, what you like, what you dislike and what major fits you. I was a Nursing major but it didn't work out as I planned but I loved researching and writing so I thought about switching to Journalism. I'm doing much better in this major. I thought about double majoring in Journalism and Marketing so I added one marketing class for Spring of '18 to see how I do. Before you commit to a major, you should feel it out and try a class first. This might seem obvious to everyone but I only thought of it a few days ago.

Since my college is in downtown, there are a lot of advantages. For instance, whenever I'm feeling hungry or thirsty, I can go across the street to dine at Cafe Ah Roma of I can walk to Starbucks, if I want to go further, I'll go to Restore Cold Pressed. Sometimes, I'll take the trolley, free for everybody, or I'll walk. Especially in the windy fall morning, or fall in general! I found out I enjoy walking to places to get something to eat or drink. I usually walk with my cousin but if she's not available, I wouldn't mind walking alone.

Next, there are a lot of clubs and gym classes you can join. I joined the Vindicator, which is the arts and culture magazine here at Cleveland State, and I joined because I love to write but didn't know if I would be any good at it. I joined my freshman year and I remember my insides were shaking. I was a very scared freshman because I was intimidated by everyone's ideas and writing but I did it anyways. I found out I actually enjoy writing poems and articles. I remember I was co-writing a Lakewood piece with three other writers and I had to interview at least one person. So, we all went to Lakewood and one of my friends taught me how to conduct one, it took me around ten minutes to actually prepare and try and go up to someone. Another one of my friends interviewed with me since it was our first time, then I got a bit comfortable. Then, we went to the Root cafe and I tried interviewing on my own and it turns out, I liked it! I was working on the Vindicator hour, which is tied to the Vindicator but it was on the school's radio. It was fun working there, I learned a lot. I learned how to ask questions during an interview, what to do and what not to do during one, I learned the technology side and during the earlier days, I tried to improve my writing. I wrote an article for the Cauldron, Cleveland State's newspaper, sports section. I wrote on Coach Waters' retirement party. At first, it seemed impossible to try and get a couple quotes from Coach Waters because he's the man of the hour! At the end of the party, I've seen people come up to him and talk to him while another person is waiting for their turn waiting beside him. So, I did the same. I waited next to him until it was my turn and then I did it. I interviewed someone without shaking. Also, I joined Pink Gloves Boxing. I was hesitant to join because I wasn't sure if I'd be good enough but my friend Kayla is one of the instructors, she's the best but I might be biased since she's one of my closest friends. It turns out I like it a lot. I like working out and punching bags. Maybe I've gotten over my fear of speaking to people in public! Moral of the story is, you never know unless you try.

I also learned how to study better. In high school, I would just wing it but now, I use notecards, sometimes highlighter, I'd write in my daily goals to help me focus on what to do and how soon to finish an assignment. I also learned I should start studying as soon as school starts. It might seem boring but, I actually enjoy studying. Maybe that's the Asian in me talking.

Making friends. Boy, I never thought I actually wanted to make friends because of my past, I didn't want to know anybody nor did I want to speak. I wanted to go to college, study, get the best grades I can then graduate and get a job. Along the way, I have talked to some people and made some friends because I decided to see the good in people again. Also, I remember I felt really lonely in high school so I made some friends in college. I'm glad I did because the people I've met and are friends with, are some of the coolest people I've ever met. We may not have the same music tastes but we do have quite a bit in common. I decided to be nicer but not too nice, I should learn to defend myself when I can. What can I say? I'm evolving as a person. Many people will see me as a mean or always a lonely person but I am no longer that kind of person. I know what kind of a person I am and people's minds will not change that. I guess that's it for now. When I'm a senior, I'll probably make an update on how college is helping me change part two, if I come up with more things to say.