12 College Campus Trends

12 College Campus Trends

500
12 College Campus Trends
Total Frat Move

College style is an endless tug-a-war game between fashion and comfort. Yes, you want to look cute in those wedge sandals but how are your feet going to feel about it halfway through your day. And I could never leave out my personal struggle, which many girls seem to be right along with me in, trying to find a hand full of decent outfits to wear before the cold weather kicks in. Almost every girl out there can agree that our cold weather month’s wardrobe is 1,000 times better than our summer’s, but who can blame us? In this heat, they better all be thankful we have any on. As I’ve walked around campus I’ve noticed a few fashion trends that seem to be a staple for every 18 to 20-something-year-old student.

1. White Converse

These are the shoes that are controlling girls walking paths on every campus everywhere. As they walk to class the shoes seem to scream “watch out for that mud – don’t walk through the grass.” I really don’t know what this white shoe epidemic is or where it came about from, but I’m loving it. Finally - a shoe that is fashionable and so comfortable. It’s the perfect fit for a busy college student and goes with everything.

2. Oversized Shirts

“Is she wearing anything under that?” is what you might be thinking or muttering to a friend while walking to class. Actually, this was the primary attire for sorority girls on rush week; oversized shirts with athletic shorts. College girls find that this outfit gives them a laid back sporty look without looking overly sloppy.

3. Capsule Wardrobe

A capsule wardrobe is very useful for any college student, or anyone on a budget really. To explain this it's a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion. Those items are then paired with extra pieces of clothing that are seasonally appropriate. A capsule wardrobe is a perfect way to have a small wardrobe with big style.

4. School Tee

This will forever be a college staple. It is always socially acceptable to wear any shirt representing a college whether you be in class or at a party, but please be sure you don't wear a different college's shirt to your school- you might get busted out, forced to do something slightly embarrassing, and given a shirt that represents your university (at least on my campus this happens).

5. Crop Tops

These tops can be plain or dressy. They are cut short to reveal the stomach. One of the more popular types is the ‘reverse triangle’. Those who don’t want to show so much skin can pair a crop top with high-waisted jeans or shorts so that only the top of their belly button to their chest line can be seen.

6. Branded Hats

The top three most worn hats on campus have been Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour baseball caps. Most of the time the hats are worn with t-shirts, shorts and a pair of sneakers that are the same brand of the chosen hat.

7. Chokers

A trend that began in the 90’s, these tight fitted necklaces are making a comeback. This time, it has reached its peak in the fashion world be being paired with an additional more loose necklace.

8. Leggings

Leggings have become a girl's second best friend in recent years, coming in second place to, of course, diamonds. This extra option for pants can be worn with almost anything: dresses, long shirts, skirts, plaid shirts, and so much more.

9. MK Pom Poms

These fluffy accents, created by the Michael Kors brand, add a bit of style to any purse or wallet, even if it may not be MK.

10. Plaid Shirts

They are trendy, versatile, and can be found very cheap. Though the Rail's plaid shirt is desirably soft and comfy, they start off at $98.00. Another option that is much cheaper can be found in the men's section of many stores. Just remember men's buttons are on the opposite side of women's.

11. Half-Up Ponytails

The half-up ponytail came into fashion through Ariana Grande's notorious hairdo. If you are looking for a great tutorial on this easy-do click here.

12. Boots

Boots are every girl's true love. The only problem with boots is that only the strong-willed can wear them in the summer heat. There are many different styles to match any outfit you may have dreamed up.