College As Explained By Parks And Rec

College As Explained By Parks And Rec

"The thing about youth culture is, I don't understand it.-" Leslie Knope

49
College As Explained By Parks And Rec

College: most of us are living it up at wherever we've decided to spend the next four years of our lives. If you're not in college, then you've probably already been or are trying to decide where to go after you graduate. Living the college life has its ups and most definitely its downs, there's no doubt about that. What better way to describe the experience that I and I am sure many of my other peers have had with a little show called Parks and Recreation. Perhaps you've heard of it? It was only one of NBC's most popular shows to come on the air this century. So, kick back, relax, and let the people of Pawnee, Indiana describe to you what being in college is like.

1. When your teacher forces everyone in class to introduce and say a little bit about themselves.

(LOL, no thank you)

2. Coming into college absolutely certain that you know what you're doing with your life, then realizing you actually have no idea at all.

Yeah, that dream of becoming a dog psychiatrist/ psychotherapist? Not going to happen.

3. During syllabus week you think you totally have this college thing down.

You have your planner filled out, your schedule all set, and your ducks all in a row!

4. Then by the second week, you're a little more like this.

The thrill of college has worn off, your go-to outfit is your pj's, and all you want now is lie in bed and sleep the day away.

5. Your teachers expect you to take notes when really you feel more like this.

I can't even remember my own name in the morning, you expect me to write out substrate level phosphorylation at 9 in the morning. Hilarious.

6. When you need help with something and try to talk to an adult, and then you realize you ARE the adult.

I'm supposed to make my own doctor's appointments now?

7. You wear the same outfit two days in a row because the people in your MWF classes don't know what you wear to your TTH classes.

Until you get that one kid who is in both classes and has a crazy good memory. Which brings me to my next point...

8. There's that one strange kid who you never learn his name, major, or literally anything about him, but you literally see him. ALL. THE. TIME.

You're pretty sure that he was sent by the secret government (or your mom) to spy on you and learn all of your deepest, darkest secrets.

9. There's also that one kid in your class who is freakishly smart and knows it, so they get on your last nerve when they make you feel like a kindergartner taking trigonometry.

Why are you doing this to me?

10. Then comes your first college crush. In your mind, this is how the situation will play out with them.

But in reality, it's probably more like this...

You become so awkward around them that even people on the other side of campus can feel that awkward vibes that are radiating off of you.

11. When the opportunity arises to get free food that is actually good because let's face it -- you've most likely been living off fast food and mac and cheese for a couple months now.

You didn't know that food could taste so good than it does right at that very second.

12. Because you've been living off of terrible food for a couple months now, you've probably gained a little weight.

But that's okay! Because you can just exercise it off. Except, wait a minute...

So, yeah. Exercising is not going to happen.

13. Now, your first midterm is coming up soon.

You've been putting off studying, haven't you?

14. Welp, time to pull your first all-nighter.

15. For those of you who are the fortunate few and have not pulled an all-nighter, they look something like this.

or this:

or even this:

So pretty much anything but studying is being done.

16. Finally, when midterms are done, you kinda feel like this.

Not trying to sound overdramatic here, but...

17. The most amazing feeling in college is when you and your friend get your tests back and realize all your studying paid off.

Or you both failed miserably, but that's okay because you know, solidarity and what not.

17. Weekends in college are meant for laying in bed, sleeping and watching Netflix.

Unless you want to face my wrath, do not wake me up early on a Saturday.

18. Also, you're pretty sure that everyone around is a complete idiot.

Or maybe it's you who's the idiot. You can never really tell.

19. But that's okay because you've at least made that one friend who you're pretty confident is your platonic soulmate.

20. Not to mention while all of this college stuff is going on, this is how you feel most of the time.

Just smile the pain away. :)

21. Also, you're most likely missing your family a ton and this is pretty much the only message you send to them now.

Let's be real. The only people that you'll ever believe when they say everything will be okay is your parents.

There are countless other occasions where your college career can be summed up by Parks and Rec. These characters don't just define what it's like to work in the government. They define life in general. Wherever you go to college, whatever you are majoring in, or whoever you hang out with, always know that the gang from Parks and Rec will have your back. So go out there and succeed like Leslie Knope or Tom Haverford or even Andy Dwyer. Whatever the case, just remember: don't be a Jerry!