A Letter To My Best Friend As You Go Off To College: Here's What You Need To Know.

col·lege

/ˈkälij/noun

1. an educational institution or establishment, in particular one providing higher education or specialized professional or vocational training.

111

We know that hindsight is always clear when changing the way you live. Whether it's a diet change, living situation, or in this case, college.

To my best friend, as she goes off to live in a different city at a different college.

The truths of college, so far, from what I have learned.

1. Coffee is your friend. At least it's mine. Never thought I would have to budget my money for coffee every month, but those late nights studying, caffeine is a necessity.
  2. Failing is not the end of the world. If you do poorly on an exam, a paper, a quiz, or homework assignment, IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.
  3. To-Do lists and an organized agenda makes everything easier. Trust me.
  4. The hardest person to please is yourself. You are not in college to please anyone but yourself, regardless of how hard it may be.
  5. Always have cereal. Dry cereal, milk too. Makes for a wonderful lunch, dinner, late dinner, midnight study snacks, or snacking, or breakfast.
  6. Weekends are for catching up and sleeping in. BUT if you have homework, get that done first before going out, hanging out with friends, or whatever it may be. Nothing sucks more than wanting to go out but falling behind.
  7. Worrying causes stress. 'Nuff said.
  8. As much as schoolwork is important, your mental health is too. Take time for yourself.
  9. An afternoon nap when you have the time is always a good idea. Personally, I have never had a nap so good, especially in a dorm bed.
  10. Your intentions and attitude make a world of difference.

Three things that I have learned about what college kids aren't doing often enough.

1. Washing sheets, clothing, and dishes.
  2. Learning how to do laundry. It's crazy how many people go to school not knowing how to do their laundry, but if you need help, call me. Please.
  3. Cleaning the "community chair" that everyone sits on.
  4. And lastly, if you are not going to wash it, Febreze.

Student Discounts: ALL IN STORE, WITH STUDENT ID.

• Arbys - 10%
  • Buffalo Wild Wings - 10%
  • Burger King - 10%
  • Chick-Fil-A - free drink
  • Chipotle - free drink
  • Dunkin Donuts - 10%
  • McDonald's - 10%
  • Pizza Hut - 10%
  • Subway - free drink

(APPLE MUSIC: $4.99 a month with ID, AMAZON PRIME STUDENT, Download Student Beans for more).

Smart Saving Tips for Saving Money in College: What I wish I knew…

1. Do not make impulsive purchases.
  2. Do not order food multiple times per week.
  3. Do not waste your meal plan on junk food all the time.
  4. Use the free resources on campus.
  5. Make a "going out" budget.
  6. If you cannot finish a meal, save it for later rather than throw it out.

Coping with Mental Issues: Things I did…

• Speak up. Go to therapy.
  • Accept the hard times and forgive yourself. Always forgive yourself before attempting to change or take back your life.
  • Exercising was a great way to blow off steam.
  • DO NOT pig out/stress eat.
  • If you have medication, take it. DO NOT miss a day, you will become very unbalanced.

5 Mistakes to Avoid:

1. Going too hard right out of the gate. Being on your own for the first time is tempting. Just relax. You should not eat junk food every meal, you do not need to drink yourself into an alcohol coma.
  2. Putting yourself into a group of friends and closing yourself off to new friends. People come and go.
  3. Not talking to classmates on the first day of class. No time is more pure or filled with more vulnerable fellow peers than this time. Do not take it for granted
  4. Not asking questions.
  5. Trying to be someone you are not. If you are not a party girl, do not try to become one just to fit in with a certain group or to avoid fear of missing out. College is more of becoming who you are, not trying to become someone you are not.

6 Helpful YouTube Channels for College Students:

1. CrashCourse.
  2. Ted + Ted-Ed.
  3. Khan Academy.
  4. Mental Floss.
  5. SciShow.
  6. Good Mythical Morning.

Maintaining that 3.9 GPA as a Procrastinator:

1. Go to class.
  2. Hand write all notes.
  3. Use Quizlet.
  4. Stay organized.
  5. Prioritize your assignments.
  6. Study for tests.
  7. Make a review sheet.
  8. Summarize and condense information. '
  9. Pay attention.
  10. Do practice problems.

Lastly, knowing you are an introvert, here are some tips to help you flourish in school.

1. Go to welcome week activities.
  2. Join clubs.
  3. Schedule down time/self care.
  4. Attend at least one social event a week. Be it coffee with a friend or an on campus activity.
  5. Make a goal of befriending one person in each of your classes.
  6. Challenge yourself to get outside of your comfort zone.

I hope all of this helps you. You are going to kick-ass in college. I know that for a fact.

I am so proud of you!