Are Video Game Collector Editions Worth Paying For? It Depends

If You Want Gamers To Buy 'Special' Or 'Collector's' Editions, You Best Prove They're Worth Paying For

Are gamers getting exactly what they paid for?

16

Special editions of video games date back to 2005 starting with the game "Shenmue" for the Sega Dreamcast. Before I start with my rant, let's define what makes a product a special edition. A release of a product that has more additional features or items in it than the regular retail version is what makes it a special edition. These special editions' prices range from $120 to a ridiculous $1 million. Trust me, that wasn't a typo, I know what I said.

Now let me say this before I start getting hate: there are video games that have special editions that prove to consumers that they are getting what they are paying for, while there are others whose companies laugh at you while you waste your money away. A common mistake gamers make when buying the special edition of a game is not checking if the game is even included. I don't blame them either. For example "Mass Effect: Andromeda Collector's Edition" is $260. It comes with a remote control car that replicates a vehicle in the game and a steel book case for the game. Problem is there is no game included with it, so that is another $60 added on. I can't see why any game company thought that it was a smart idea releasing a collector's edition that is over $100 or even $200 and doesn't even include the game with it. That's just showing your true colors and showing your customers you only care about the money.

Now, let's talk about the items included with the collector's editions. Another thing you would hate to see after your purchase would be cheaply made items. "Marvel VS Capcom Infinite" promised gamers replicas of Thanos's infinity stones used for his gauntlet. Upon opening it, it doesn't take a genius to see they look like those cheap plastic eggs you get on Easter morning. Seeing that people pay at least $200 for these, I imagine that they would be upset about it.

I don't doubt that there are people out there in the world who actually like these bundles that I have mentioned. For instance, I like for my collector's editions to provide me with in-game content and none of that figurine and tangible stuff that will end up collecting dust in my basement somewhere. In hindsight, it all really depends on your love for the game franchise and your own specific taste. If you're a die-hard fan of the series, you will end up loving the collector's edition of the game a lot more than your average consumer. To each their own. I still stand with my statement about game companies not including their games with collector's editions though. Can't change my mind about it. That's just crap.